Since being back in sunny California, I’ve mostly been having smoothies for breakfast, but on weekends, I feel like nothing quite hits the spot like a nice warm meal. Normally, my go to breakfast is pancakes or waffles, but I decided to try something new this break, so I’ve made these really simple but satisfying vegan crepes filled with a rich chocolate sauce.

This is a perfect quick dish to whip up for an indulgent morning brunch, without all the guilt since the chocolate sauce is sweetened naturally with dates, and the crepe batter has very little added sugar or oil. It’s a great alternative to regular pancakes if you’re trying to stay a little healthier. As an alternative to the chocolate spread, you can also fill these with a jam or fruit preserve, or some fresh fruit if you have it on hand.

Crepes

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:15 minutes

• 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 3 tablespoon packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 cup unsweetned non-dairy milk
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil
  • A dash of salt
Photo by Shannon Peters

Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder into a medium-sized bowl.

Photo by Shannon Peters

Add the brown sugar, coconut oil, and milk and whisk to combine. The mixture should be thin, to allow for easy spreading along the pan. Add more milk if it is too thick.

Photo by Shannon Peters

Grease a large skillet and heat at medium high temperature.

Using a ladle, spoon the batter into the middle of the heated pan. Quickly use the ladle to spread out the batter to make the crepe as flat as possible. Another option is to lift the pan and circle it around, allowing the batter to spread around the pan.

Photo by Shannon Peters

Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the edges dry out. Loosen them with a butter knife and flip the crepe.

Photo by Shannon Peters

Cook another 30 seconds to a minute until browned.

Fill crepes with your desired filling, fold them in half, and then in half again and enjoy!

Photo by Shannon Peters

Chocolate spread

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:5 minutes
  • Total Time:10 minutes

• 4 large Medjool dates
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
Photo by Shannon Peters

Add the pitted dates, cocoa powder, and milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk) to a blender and blend until smooth.

Photo by Shannon Peters

Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

Photo by Shannon Peters