If you haven’t binge-watched Friends yet even though all ten seasons are available on Netflix, you should do so immediately. For those of you who have seen every episode fifty times like I have, then you know that some of the most iconic, laugh-so-hard-you-pee moments came from the annual Thanksgiving episodes.

A touch football game for the coveted Geller Cup, a guest appearance by Brad Pitt and of course Monica shimming while neck-deep in a raw turkey made for great television. But “The One Where Ross Got High” from Season 6 shines for one reason: Rachel’s trifle.

Rach tries to impress her friends by making the “traditional” English layered dessert, but her cookbook pages are stuck together, resulting in a half-trifle, half-shepherd’s pie, meaty-dessert fiasco. Here’s a clip:

I don’t know about you, but nothing satisfies my sweet-tooth more than oniony ground beef. Ross claims it “tastes like feet.” So of course, I decided to whip one up for myself.

Trifle from Friends

Photo by Kathleen Lee

I took the time to make the custard from scratch à la Rachel, and I consider myself a pretty adventurous eater anyways, so I was not entirely dreading the taste test.

Trifle from Friends

Photo by Kathleen Lee

I felt like I was eating dog food.

The sweet custard, jam and whipped cream coat the meat globules, resulting in a nauseating, reverse-Everlasting Gobstopper effect. One bite was more than enough for me, but if you are a sadist or want a good laugh at your Friends-giving, the recipe follows. Happy holidays!

Rachel's "Traditional" English Trifle

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:30 minutes
  • Servings:10-12

• 1 package lady fingers
  • 1 jar raspberry jam
  • 2 cup custard
  • 1 package raspberries
  • 10 oz ground beef
  • 3/4 cup peas
  • 1/2 yellow onion
  • 1 ripe banana
  • Whipped cream

Assemble the ingredients. Sautée the ground beef with peas and onions and prepare a custard ahead of time (use this easy creme anglaise recipe).

Line the bottom of a large clear bowl with a layer of lady fingers.

Add the raspberry jam until the lady fingers are completely coated. Cover the jam layer with half of your custard. Top with raspberries.

Add another layer of lady fingers.

Add a layer of the beef mixture.

#SpoonTip: If you actually want to serve this trifle to people and not have them hate you, substitute the beef and veggies for another type of berry or fruit.

Add the rest of your custard and sliced bananas.

Cover with whipped cream and garnish. Serve immediately, before people can run away.