Everyone knows protein helps build muscle, especially if consumed right after working out. Being a vegetarian and never much of a protein shake or egg person, I struggled to find something I actually wanted to eat after a workout. It took a lot of searching, but Costco came to the rescue and I found it: Power Cakes Flapjack Mix by Kodiak Cakes.

Pancakes are by far my favorite breakfast food and these things pack in 14 grams of protein per serving. Not to mention they’re made with 100% whole grain which is sure to satisfy even your most ravaging hunger.

Although this Power Cakes mix is the bomb, they aren’t necessary for the recipe. Simply add a few scoops of your favorite protein powder to a just-add-water pancake mix, and you’re ready to go.

Cinnamon-Chocolate Protein Pancakes

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:15 minutes
  • Servings:4 servings

• 1 cup Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes Flapjack Mix
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon cacao powder
  • 1/4 cup hemp seeds
  • 2 bananas, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
Photo by Nina Listro

Stir together Kodiak Cake mix, cinnamon, cacao powder, hemp seeds and water. Be sure not to over stir.

#SpoonTip: for thicker, more dense, pancakes, add less water.

Photo by Nina Listro

Heat coconut oil (or another stable oil) over medium heat in a skillet or frying pan.

Pour 1/4 of the batter onto the skillet and top with a few banana slices. Cook for a few minutes, or until bubbles begin to form on top  of the pancake. Flip, and cook the other side until golden brown. Set the pancake aside and repeat with the remaining batter.

Photo by Nina Listro

Top with maple syrup, yogurt, coconut flakes, peanut butter, or whatever your hungry heart desires.

Photo by Nina Listro