With winter slowly but surely approaching, you need everything you can to try and stay warm. Luckily there is a recipe that can do just that. My mom used to make Great Dane Inner Warmth Stew when the temperature dipped well below 32°F (something that occurs often when you grow up in Upstate, NY). Trust me, there is nothing like coming home to a heaping bowl of stew after a long day trudging through the snow.

This recipe was created by Matt Moyer, the executive chef at Great Dane Pub & Brewing Co. in Madison, WI (clearly these people also know how to deal with winter). This stew brings unique flavors from peanut butter, squash, tomatoes, ginger and garlic into a creamy and hearty concoction.

As an added bonus, this stew is completely vegan, gluten/dairy free, and is full of fiber containing vegetables. In my opinion, this is the best remedy for the “winter blues,” and has always managed to cheer me up whenever I am feeling tired and homesick, or just plain cold.

Vegetarian Stew

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:40 minutes
  • Servings:4-6 servings

• 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup minced ginger
  • 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
  • 2-3 pounds of butternut squash, peeled, cubed
  • 1 quart tomato juice
  • 20 oz can diced tomato
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 bunch of cilantro, stems removed, chopped
  • Brown/white rice or grain of your choice (for serving)

Heat the olive oil on medium/high heat in a large soup pan. When the oil begins to sizzle, add the onion, garlic, ginger, black pepper, and cubed butternut squash. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the squash softens, stirring occasionally.

Once the squash is semi-tender, add the tomato juice, tomato, and salt. Simmer until the squash is tender enough to be pierced with a fork, about 5 minutes.

Add the chopped cilantro and peanut butter to the stew and mix well. Simmer this mixture for about 10 minutes, or until a thick and rich consistency is achieved.

Look at all of that cilantro goodness

If you want a more soup-like texture, use an immersion blender to create a smooth and creamy consistency. If you want a chunky stew-like texture like the one pictured below, then simply leave it be.

Serve warm over the grain of your choice (or just eat it right out of the pot).

#SpoonTip: This stew makes incredibly large portions, but thankfully it freezes and reheats well.