So what exactly is a Tagalong cookie? A Tagalong is a shortbread cookie, smothered with creamy peanut butter, and drenched with chocolate. Drooling? Because I am.

During Girl Scout season, my freezer is stuffed with Tagalong boxes. By the time mid-winter hits, my stash has been demolished and my freezer is left Tagalong-less. To fill this void, I decided it was necessary to create a Tagalong copycat recipe.

Tagalong Girl Scout Cookies

• Prep Time:45 minutes
  • Cook Time:15 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour
  • Servings:25-30 cookies

• 2 1/2 cup all-natural peanut butter
  • 2 cup powdered sugar
  • 4 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cup milk chocolate morsels
  • 4 tablespoon shortening
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt

Place peanut butter in a large mixing bowl, set to low speed and add powdered sugar in segments. Once all of the powdered sugar is in the mixing bowl, set to high speed for two minutes or until combined.

Line a baking pan with parchment paper, SPRAY IT, and fill an ice cream scooper about 1/4 of the way full with peanut butter. Scoop chunks of peanut butter onto the baking pan.

Photo by Annie Slabotsky

Place the pan in the refrigerator uncovered.

Whisk together salt and flour in another mixing bowl. Add butter on medium speed until whipped. Incorporate the remaining powdered sugar, flour, and vanilla extract on medium speed until combined.

Photo by Annie Slabotsky

Refrigerate the dough until firm, for at least 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 325°F.

Dust your countertop and rolling pin with flour. Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/2 inch. Use a circular size cookie cutter (or a glass) to cut round disks from your dough.

Photo by Annie Slabotsky

Place the disks on a greased pan and bake for 15-17 minutes until the edges become golden.

Allow the cookies to cool and remove the peanut butter balls from the refrigerator. Spread one chunk of peanut butter on each cookie generously.

Photo by Annie Slabotsky

Place 4 cups of chocolate morsels and 4 tablespoons of shortening in a large, shallow glass bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, uncovered. Mix together thoroughly so that the shortening and melted chocolate are fully combined.

Drop a cookie into the melted chocolate. Take a spoon and drizzle chocolate over the cookie until it is fully coated. Then, with a large fork, retrieve the cookie from the chocolate and place it onto a greased grid patterned cooling rack.

#SpoonTip: Place a sheet of waxed paper under the rack to catch the chocolate drips.

Photo by Annie Slabotsky

Once each cookie is coated with chocolate, use a spatula to transfer the cookies onto greased wax paper. Refrigerate for several hours so that the chocolate can harden.

Photo by Annie Slabotsky

Devour!

Photo by Annie Slabotsky