My dad is a master on the grill. Chicken, steak, fish you name it and he can grill it. In order to honor him on Father’s Day, I wanted to come up with a dessert that represented him. What better what to do that than mimic hamburgers with cupcakes?

These guys are cute, fun, and so simple to make. This dessert is more about the looks, but if I was making this for someone besides my dad, I’d definitely use homemade cakes and frosting. I’d also use squares of yellow fondant for the cheese and dyed coconut for the shredded lettuce for a more realistic presentation. Remember to get creative and add your own spin to them.

Hamburger Cupcakes

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:1 hour
  • Total Time:1 hour 30 minutes
  • Servings:12-24

• 1 box of yellow cake mix
  • 1 box brownie mix
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 red frosting
  • 1 green frosting
  • 1 yellow frosting
  • Vegetable oil
  • Water
Photo by Amanda Evertz

Bake vanilla cupcakes with your favorite yellow cake mix according to directions on box. DO NOT use cupcake liners, but grease and flour the pan so they easily pop out.

Photo by Amanda Evertz

Fill the cupcake liners two-thirds full with batter. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Let the cupcakes cool completely before decorating.

Photo by Amanda Evertz

Make brownies with your favorite brownies mix according to directions on box. Once baked, leave brownies out to cool, at least 10 minutes.

Photo by Amanda Evertz

Assemble the burgers: Use a round cookie cutter or a glass to cut out “hamburger patties” from the brownies. Halve the cupcakes horizontally with a knife. Place the brownie burgers on the bottom halves of the cupcakes.

Photo by Amanda Evertz

On the brownie, pipe lines of red, yellow, and green icing to create the ketchup, mustard, and lettuce. Then top with the other half of the cupcake bun.

#SpoonTip: I used different tips on my icing to create the effects of the condiments and the lettuce. You can also add green food dye to shredded coconut to make lettuce.

Photo by Amanda Evertz

Brush the top of the buns lightly with sugar water and then sprinkle on some sesame seeds. This make these burger cupcakes look so realistic.

#SpoonTip: You’ll have leftovers from the brownie cut outs and maybe a few “rejects” from the yellow cupcakes. You’ll also have some leftover frosting. All the ingredients needed to make cake pops.

Photo by Amanda Evertz