Every year, my mother and I head to the kitchen to bake cookies and other desserts for the holidays. We usually mix it up a little and we’ve made peanut butter cookiesgingerbread cookies, and sugar cookies already. The one dessert that has always stayed the same, ever since I could remember, were these brown sugar walnut tarts. This recipe came from the grandmother, who gave it to my mother to bake for the very first holiday she spent with my dad’s family. Nearly thirty years later, these are still a staple at the family Christmas table.

The one dessert that has always stayed the same, ever since I could remember, were these brown sugar walnut tarts. This recipe came from the grandmother, who gave it to my mother to bake for the very first holiday she spent with my dad’s family. Nearly thirty years later, these are still a staple at the family Christmas table.

With the sweet and savory taste of these treats, you can make them for Christmas, but you’ll really want to make them year-round.

Brown Sugar Walnut Tarts

• Prep Time:1 hour and 15 minutes
  • Cook Time:25 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour and 40 minutes
  • Servings:24 tarts

• 1 cup flour
  • 3 oz cream cheese
  • 10 tablespoon softened butter
  • 1 cup walnuts
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg

Knead together the flour, cream cheese, and 8 tablespoons of butter.

Photo by Jacqueline Gualtieri

Divide the dough into 24 balls of about equal size then cover in saran wrap and refrigerate for one hour.

Photo by Jacqueline Gualtieri

While you wait for the dough to slightly harden, make the filling by mixing the rest of the butter, walnuts, brown sugar, and egg together.

Photo by Jacqueline Gualtieri

Take the balls out of the fridge and press them into a greased muffin tin to form small cups.

Photo by Jacqueline Gualtieri

Fill the cups with a teaspoon of the filling. Make sure the cups do not overflow or the tarts will burn.

Photo by Jacqueline Gualtieri

Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes then take out and let cool.

Photo by Jacqueline Gualtieri