With the winter months coming up, we all crave a satisfying and warm snack right out of the oven that won't be hundreds of calories (I'm talking about you cookies and frozen appetizers).

These breaded zucchini sticks don't take an Iron Chef to make, are an easy snack for people of any age and won't take hours to make.

Baked Breaded Zucchini Sticks

• 1 large zucchini or 2-3 medium ones
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup mayonaisse optional
  • 1/4 buffalo sauce optional
  • non-stick cooking spray
  • salt & pepper to taste
vegetable, marrow, courgette, cucumber, zucchini
Photo by Brianna Sutherland

Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Coat it lightly with cooking spray.

Take the zucchini and cut it into small, 4-inch pieces about the same thickness as a french fry. Pat them dry with a paper towel.

vegetable, dairy product, cheese
    Photo by Brianna Sutherland

Set up the olive oil in one bowl, and mix the bread crumbs, salt/pepper, cheese and garlic in another bowl right next to it.

tea, herb
    Photo by Brianna Sutherland

Coat the zucchini sticks first in the olive oil, then in the bread crumb mixture (this is the perfect step to let kids participate in if they're helping you out).

Photo by Brianna Sutherland

Place the sticks about an inch apart on the baking sheet skin-side down.

sweet
    Photo by Brianna Sutherland

Bake the sticks for about 20 minutes or until golden brown, checking on them and flipping them if necessary.

If you would like, mix the hot sauce and mayo to make a creamy and spicy dipping sauce. Serve the breaded sticks up on a plate and enjoy!

sauce, cheese
    Photo by Brianna Sutherland