A few years ago, quinoa suddenly became the “it grain” and started showing up everywhere: in Pinterest recipes, cookbooks and on instagram. While it is a great ingredient – packed with protein, vitamins and fiber – it’s had it’s time in the spotlight. There are so many other interesting and healthy grains that are flying under the radar. Farro, for example, is pretty underrated given its versatility and nutrition.

Nutty and chewy, farro is one of the oldest grains on the planet. Sometimes referred to as spelt, it is high in protein and fiber. This side by side comparison of farro with quinoa even shows that it has more calcium and less fat. So swapping in farro for your usual grain of choice will keep you on trend and healthy.

While farro is most commonly found in grain salads, (try this one with chickpeas, sweet potato and apple) it actually has many other versatile uses. It can be used in risottos, soups, stews or in the place of oatmeal for a hearty breakfast.

Following the salad trend, this recipe pairs the grain with roasted lemon, kale and tahini for a light, fresh meal. With spring on the horizon (cross your fingers), it’s a bright recipe to get you in the mood for the upcoming warmer weather.

Lemon Tahini Farro Salad with Kale

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:30 minutes
  • Total Time:40 minutes
  • Servings:2-3

• 1 lemon
  • 1 cup farro
  • 1 cup kale
  • 3/4 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoon tahini
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoon lemon juice
  • Pepper
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice your lemon and place on a baking tray. Lightly sprinkle with salt and bake, for about 25-30 minutes, or until they begin to brown around the edges.

Photo by Nathalie Kent

Meanwhile, place farro into a pot and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until it is softened but still chewy.

Photo by Nathalie Kent

Finely chop kale and place into a serving bowl.

Photo by Nathalie Kent

Pour cooked farro overtop the kale to wilt it slightly.

Photo by Nathalie Kent

Remove lemons from oven and cut off the rinds. Finely chop, removing any seeds, and add to the bowl.

Photo by Nathalie Kent

Add the peas, oil, tahini, salt, lemon juice, pepper and red pepper flakes and toss together.

Photo by Nathalie Kent