It’s Passover, which means (if you’re a dessert lover like me) that your favorite desserts are off-limits. You can’t eat cookies, cupcakes or brownies (and don’t be fooled – anything with matzoh meal is not a real dessert).  My go-to Passover dessert is generally a flourless chocolate cake. It’s easy, chocolately and fudgy, so it meets all my criteria. But, at college, cakes just don’t work as well. You can’t share a cake easily if you make it at school and it’s difficult to travel with if you’re taking it from home back to school. That’s why I decided to try a flourless brownie this year. It’s essentially flourless chocolate cake in brownie form. Give them a try – they’re delicious.

Easy

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50-60 minutes
Total Time: About 75 minutes

Servings: 16 brownies

2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (try Ghiradelli, they’re great)
4 large eggs at room temperature
1/8 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a square 9″x9″ pan with nonstick spray. Line the pan with parchment paper and then spray the parchment paper with more nonstick spray.

2. Melt the butter, sugar, and bittersweet chocolate chips in a double boiler, stirring until smooth. (Tip: To double boil something, fill a pot of water, boil the water, turn it to simmer, and place a heatproof bowl with the ingredients on top).

brownies

Photo by Samantha Klein

3. Meanwhile, whisk together together the eggs, water, and vanilla in a large bowl.

brownies

Photo by Samantha Klein

4. Once the chocolate mixture has melted, whisk it into the egg mixture.

brownies

Photo by Samantha Klein

5. Whisk in the cocoa powder and salt. Fold in the chocolate chips.

brownies

Photo by Samantha Klein

6. Transfer the batter to the baking pan and cook for 50-60 minutes until the center is set.

brownies

Photo by Samantha Klein