In the college student’s everyday flurry of classes, activities, socializing and studying, taking the time to cook something can sound super stressful. Rather than mindlessly eating junk food, set aside ten minutes to prepare your dinner from the comfort of your dorm. The mental pause is not only a great study break, but the end result (food) will be so worth it. A Buddha Bowl is the perfect choice because it is nice to look at, nice to your body, and ridiculously easy to make.

What’s a Buddha Bowl?

Buddha bowls are a trendy vegetarian meal that include a whole rainbow of ingredients. These ingredients can vary greatly depending on taste, but the formula is always the same: Grain Base, Beans/Legumes, Greens, and Raw/Cooked Veggies. Toppings such as seeds, nuts, hummus, or dressings can be added to modify the flavor and texture.

Why Buddha Bowls are Great Dorm Eats

Everything you need to make a Buddha Bowl is super cheap–I found every ingredient needed for this one at an on-campus store. On top of the easily accessible ingredients, Buddha Bowls can be prepared using only a microwave in minutes. Eating something nutritious, delicious, and stress-free will soothe the mind, body, and spirit.

#SpoonTip: This recipe is 100% adaptable. Change quantities and ingredients as you prefer.

Dorm-Friendly Buddha Bowl

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:2-5 minutes
  • Total Time:Under 10 minutes

• 1 cup Uncle Ben's microwave rice (or other grain)
  • 1/2 cup black beans (or other bean/legume)
  • 1/2 cup broccoli (or other mix of veggies)
  • 1/4 cup mushroom slices (or other mix of veggies)
  • 1 cup kale slaw (or other leafy greens)
  • 1/4 avocado (optional)
  • 2 tablespoon hummus (optional)
Photo by Lauren Arendt

Prep your veggies of choice by washing and chopping them to your liking. Set aside.

Photo by Lauren Arendt

Prep your greens of choice and set aside.

#SpoonTip: Buy prewashed veggies if you don’t have a sink in your dorm.

Photo by Lauren Arendt

Prep your beans/legumes of choice by removing them from the can, rinsing, and setting aside.

Photo by Lauren Arendt

Prepare your grain of choice in the microwave by following the instructions on the package.

Photo by Lauren Arendt

Assemble your Buddha Bowl. Start by placing the grains in the bottom as a base, and then layer the prepared veggies, greens, and beans.

Photo by Lauren Arendt

Add on some toppings, such as avocado slices, seeds, hummus, onions, herbs and spices to add flavor and texture to the bowl.

Moment of appreciation for this beauty...

Enjoy!

Photo by Lauren Arendt