Fact: No one likes swallowing a Fish Oil pill

If you’re like me, you can’t even fathom swallowing a supplement that is half the size of your pinkie. I found that gummy vitamins were the perfect substitute; they’re tangy and sweet like candy but are packed with the essential vitamins the body needs to function properly.

However, from experience I’ve learned that store bought gummy vitamins are never the way to go because they are overpriced and loaded with corn syrup.

It seems kind of ironic that these nutritious nuggets aren’t so nutritious after all but are instead basically equivalent to candy.  Luckily, making gummy vitamins is an extremely easy and cheap process. Best of all, you could cater this recipe towards what vitamins you need and invent your own flavor.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Servings: Around 20 (depends on the size you make the vitamins)

8 teaspoons gelatin powder (agar-agar powder is a great vegan replacement)
1/2 cup no sugar added juice
2 tablespoons honey or truvia
Vitamins of choice

gummy vitamins

Photo by Maris Altieri

Directions:

1. In a small pot over low heat, mix the juice and gelatin with a whisk.

2. While the mixture is heating, crush the vitamins by covering them with a napkin and pulverizing it with a spoon, or by blender.

gummy vitamins

Photo by Maris Altieri

3. Heat until the gelatin is dissolved (the texture should be like syrup).

4. Once the gelatin is dissolved, remove from heat and whisk in crushed vitamins

5. Pour the mixture into candy molds or a small glass dish (an ice cube tray works perfectly).  Make sure to grease molds or small glass dish (I used coconut oil) before pouring.

gummy vitamins

Photo by Maris Altieri

6. Chill the gummies in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.

7. Remove and pop out of molds or cut into squares. The number of squares cut should be equivalent to the number of vitamins used.

8. Eat and enjoy these glorious immune boosting gummies, but don’t indulge! Consuming an excess of vitamins could be hazardous to your health.

9. Refrigerate in a sealed bag after making them.

Not sure what vitamins to put into your recipe? Read about what vitamins all college students should be taking here

Check out these other vitamin-related articles below: