Thai food is such a flavorful cuisine with many different types of curry. It is also very dairy-free friendly thanks to the use of coconut milk in most meals. After randomly watching this tv episode of the Pioneer Woman, I was inspired to create my own dairy-free coconut shrimp curry recipe. 

This extra creamy yet dairy-free dinner has a really unique thai food flavor with a subtle kick. If you want to try thai food for the first time, this is a great recipe. And as a bonus, it only takes 20 minutes or less. 

Coconut Curry Dinner

• 2 bags microwave jasmine or basmati rice
  • 1/2 can coconut cream
  • 1/2 lime juiced
  • 1/2 lime zested
  • 1 Tablespoon curry powder
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 1 bag pre-cooked shrimp or 2 chicken breasts
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1/2 onion diced
  • 1 clove garlic
soup, shrimp
Allison Curley

Add the coconut oil, onion, garlic, and shrimp to a skillet on medium heat and cook until the onions are translucent.

soup, vegetable, shrimp, meat
    Allison Curley

Add in the coconut cream, lime juice, honey, lime zest, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir well until the sauce slightly thickens and covers all of the shrimp.

Allison Curley

Microwave the white rice of your choice (Uncle Ben's for 90 seconds).

vegetable, pasta, meat, cheese
    Allison Curley

Pour the sauce with the shrimp on top of the rice in a bowl.

chicken, curry, sauce, rice
    Allison Curley

Lots of thai meals, like my personal favorite Massaman curry, feature the combination of coconut and curry flavors. The sweetness of the coconut cream, the warmth of the curry, and the bite of the lime work really well together in this recipe.

I specifically made this dinner  with the pre-cooked shrimp (or chicken if you prefer) and the ready rice to make it much easier. I always use Uncle Ben's because it takes only 90 seconds in the microwave, which is so much quicker than cooking rice from scratch. 

With this dairy-free thai coconut shrimp curry recipe, I was able to bring thai cuisine right into my own kitchen. Whether the sauce goes on top of chicken or on shrimp, its warm flavors are so comforting and delicious.