Kale has quickly become one of the most popular “super-foods” among the health & food community. Ranked among other foods such as salmon and garlic as one of the most nutrient dense foods, kale is known to be especially beneficial to one’s health. It is high in fiber, low in calories, and full of good nutrients, antioxidants, and vitamins. Not to mention, it’s incredibly cheap and super versatile.

Kale chips are now one of the biggest fads in the healthy-snacking department and many people are replacing spinach for kale in their “green smoothies” because of it’s high nutritional value. While kale’s bitter flavor isn’t the most delicious when raw, the corn and lemon juice based dressing in this salad helps cut through the unfortunate aftertaste.

Corn and Kale Salad

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:25 minutes
  • Servings:5-6

• 1 bunch of kale
  • 1 can of corn (or 2 cups of frozen corn)
  • 1/2 cup lentils
  • 1-2 whole lemons
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 2 pinch salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, dried cranberries (optional)
Photo by Chelsea Ayukawa

Boil water and cook lentils for 15-20 minutes.

Drain the liquid out of the canned corn and set aside.

#SpoonTip: If using frozen corn, measure 1-2 cups of corn (based on how much you like corn) and put it into the microwave for around 30 seconds (or until unfrozen).

While the lentils are cooking, wash the kale and chop it up into small pieces.

Photo by Chelsea Ayukawa

Add the corn and chopped up kale into a salad spinner and spin to get rid of excess water.

#SpoonTip: If you don’t have a salad spinner, put it in a clean pillow case and spin around manually.

Photo by Chelsea Ayukawa

Put kale and corn into a large mixing bowl and add the cooked lentils. Toss until ingredients are evenly distributed.

In a small bowl or bottle, add the pepper, salt, olive oil, and juice from the lemons and shake/whisk to mix together.

Photo by Chelsea Ayukawa

Pour dressing onto salad, mix, and enjoy!

Photo by Chelsea Ayukawa