Shortbread cookies are timeless. They are a bit more labor-intensive than many cookies in competition, however, they are sure to please your tea party guests. Shortbreads are buttery, sweet, and simple in texture and taste. The crumbly texture can find its origins from Scotland, when the yeast in the biscuits during the medieval era was replaced with butter, changing the name of the treat to “short” bread (short meaning “fat”).

Here is a fairly simple recipe for chocolate shortbread cookies. The steps are easy, yet tedious, so pay attention and put lots of love into it!

Chocolate Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:30 minutes
  • Total Time:About 1 hour
  • Advanced

• 2 sticks of unsalted butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 cup unbleached flour
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Photo by Karina Roca

Heat oven to 350°F.

Cut a piece of buttered parchment paper to fit a buttered 9×13″ baking pan.

Photo by Karina Roca

Cream the butter and gradually add the granulated sugar.

Photo by Karina Roca

When the mixture is well blended, add in the vanilla and yolks.

Photo by Karina Roca

Sift the flour, salt, and baking soda together. Gradually add to the butter mixture until the dough is sticky and well blended.

Photo by Karina Roca

Lightly flour your hands.

Photo by Karina Roca

Pat down about two-thirds of the dough into the pan to create an even layer. With a fork, prick small air holes into the dough.

Photo by Karina Roca

Spread chocolate chips onto dough, leaving about 1/4 inch margins all around the border.

Photo by Karina Roca

Sprinkle the remaining one-third of the dough in well-spread clumps on top of the chocolate.

Photo by Karina Roca

Pat down with floured fingers. The chocolate will still be visible. Lastly, sprinkle with granulated sugar.

Photo by Karina Roca

Place shortbreads in the oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the edges are nicely browned.

Photo by Karina Roca