Want to bring the "wow factor" to your next dessert table? Then look no further... Try out Nigella Lawson's chocolate mousse cake from her "How To Be a Domestic Goddess" cookbook and immediately feel like, you guessed it, a domestic goddess. Even if you're not typically confident in the kitchen, I'm sure you can master this chocolatey, fluffy and mousse-like recipe.

Warning: When reading along, don't be phased by the term "water bath." All it means is placing the foil-covered cake pan on top of a baking tray, then pouring hot water into the baking tray. This keeps the chocolate mousse cake unbelievably light—adding to your overall wow factor. Using the word "moist" to describe this cake will be the only time the word is okay. 

If you follow this step-by-step recipe, you'll be able to prove to both yourself and anyone who eats your cake that you have successfully found your inner domestic goddess. 

Chocolate Mousse Cake

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 30 mins

• 11 oz bittersweet chocolate
  • 2 oz milk chocolate
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 8 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 pinch salt
sweet, cake, coffee, cream, chocolate
Lexi Bralver

Layout the ingredients and preheat the oven 350˚F.

milk
    Lexi Bralver

Line the inside of two cake pans with foil.

#SpoonTip: Press the foil into the corners of the trays so you have a nice smooth surface

cake, coffee, tea
    Lexi Bralver

Combine the chocolate and butter, then melt in the microwave or on the stove and let it cool.

milk, sweet, candy, coffee, chocolate
    Lexi Bralver

Separate the egg whites from the egg yolk into two bowls.

#SpoonTip: If you put the egg yolk in your hand and let the egg whites run through your fingers, you'll get more egg white out of it.

vegetable, oil, tea
    Lexi Bralver

Add both sugars to the egg yolks, and beat until pale yellow and creamy.

cappuccino, tea, espresso, coffee
    Lexi Bralver

Add vanilla, salt, and the cooled chocolate mixture.

espresso, barbecue sauce, pudding, milk, tea, cream, sweet, chocolate, coffee
    Lexi Bralver

Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until soft, as seen in the bowl on the left.

cappuccino, chocolate, espresso, sweet, cream, milk, tea, coffee
    Lexi Bralver

Gently add the whisked egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold the chocolate mixtures over the whisked egg whites until fully mixed.

pudding, steak sauce, cappuccino, cream, sweet, espresso, tea, chocolate, milk, barbecue sauce, coffee
    Lexi Bralver

Pour the cake batter into the foil covered cake pan, and place on a baking tray. Then, add 1 inch of water to the baking tray for the cake pan to sit in. Bam, you've got yourself a water bath.

peanut, butter, caramel, peanut butter, chocolate
    Lexi Bralver

Cook for 1 hour, check periodically to make sure the top looks dry and the inside appears moist and mousse-y, cracks on the top are okay.

milk chocolate, truffle, candy, sweet, milk, chocolate
    Lexi Bralver

Let it cool for 20 minutes before dusting with confectioner sugar on top of the cooled cake.

coconut, cake, pudding, chocolate
    Lexi Bralver

With this mastery, you can trick your audience into thinking you are just as much of a master baker as renowned chef Nigella Lawson, and that's the beauty of baking, right? We all love the "ooos" and "aahhs" of our relatives in response to all our baking wonders.

With this recipe, you will not only find you inner domestic goddess, but also your inner eating goddess because this cake tastes just as great as it looks.

Looking for more chocolate cake? More recipes can be found here, here and here. Happy baking.