Meatless Monday followers, rejoice. This black bean burger reveals that there is such a thing as a vegetarian meal that can satisfy all the things you want a burger to be: thick, juicy and full of flavor. In under 20 minutes, you can make enough patties to serve to your friends or freeze to enjoy during the week. And you can make them all for under $4, or a few quarters per patty.

If you are feeling adventurous, you can try also making sriracha aioli for a college-friendly take on a spicy burger sauce. Spread this on a bun and slip in a black bean patty and enjoy a warm, hearty meal that proves that you don’t need meat to have a tasty burger.

Easy

Prep time:  14 minutes
Cook time: 6 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes

Servings: 5-7 patties

Black Bean Burgers:
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 15-oz cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/2 cup breadcrumbs

Spice options:
1/2 tablespoon cumin and 1/2 tablespoon chili powder, or
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano and 1/2 tablespoon dried basil

Sriracha Aioli:
4 tablespoons mayo
1 teaspoon sriracha

Parisa Soraya - Black Bean Burgers

Photo by Parisa Soraya

1. Combine onions, garlic and black beans. With a potato masher, spoon or food processor, mash the mixture until mostly smooth.

Parisa Soraya - Black Bean Burgers

Photo by Parisa Soraya

2. Add in egg, cilantro, breadcrumbs and spices. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix until combined.

Parisa Soraya - Black Bean Burgers

Photo by Parisa Soraya

3. Mold black bean mixture into 5-7 patties.
4. Heat oil on a pan over medium-high heat. Cook burgers for about 3 minutes on each side.

Parisa Soraya - Black Bean Burgers

Photo by Parisa Soraya

5. Combine the mayonnaise and sriracha to create your aioli.

Parisa Soraya - Black Bean Burgers

Photo by Parisa Soraya

6. Spread aioli onto buns and add black bean burgers. Pile desired toppings and serve warm.

Tip: You can easily freeze the black bean patties before you cook them. Store them in an airtight container and defrost them in the fridge for two hours before cooking.

Parisa Soraya - Black Bean Burgers

Photo by Parisa Soraya