Picture this: a local favorite, known for its mouthwatering food and variety of beer, breaks into the Evanston nightlife scene. That’s right — Bat 17, a popular Evanston burger joint, has opened its newly renovated bar, and its owners are hoping it’ll become the next nighttime hotspot for NU students. We seemed to be in the midst of a college bar crisis in Evanston with everyone mourning the closing of the infamous Keg; but, do we really miss its limited munchies, shabby interior and below average drinks?

Photo by Bernard Wen

Now, think the Keg meets World of Beer. The new Bat 17 combines the “college-y” atmosphere of the Keg with World of Beer’s extensive drink selection. On April 15, Bat 17’s bar space opened its doors, welcoming Northwestern students with open arms. The bar’s target customers are clearly Northwestern students, with the murals of Ryan Field and our beloved Coach Fitzgerald covering the walls. Bat’s new space has something for everyone: those craving classic bar appetizers such as nachos, wings, guacamole and sliders can order them at the tall bar tables. And, the large portions are perfect for sharing! Three large tables are conveniently located in the center of the room for those looking for a place to put down their beers and chat with friends. Or, if you’re feeling competitive, look no further than the pool tables. And, to top it all off, there’s even a photo booth for anyone who wants to document his or her night. Keg dance floor fans, have no fear: even with all these amenities, there’s still plenty of room to bust a move.

Photo by Bernard Wen

Photo by Bernard Wen

For loyal Bat fans, the restaurant hasn’t lost its sports bar feel: TVs exclusively dedicated to ESPN are located throughout the bar. The famous beer towers are also still around, so forget the pitchers at the Keg and select one of the 30 plus beers on tap instead. Bartender Will Crane says the wide variety of beers on tap are always a fan favorite, but if you’re looking for something slightly stronger, ask him for the Neon Lemonade (a blue vodka drink) or the Pineapple Express (made with assorted liquor). Moral of the story: let’s stop mourning the loss of the Keg and celebrate Monday and Saturday nights, or any night for that matter, at the new bar of Evanston, Bat 17. With better food, better drinks and an all-around better atmosphere, Bat 17 will definitely be our new favorite bar this spring quarter.

average

Address: 1709 Benson Street, Evanston, IL
Hours of operation: Kitchen Hours: Mon-Thurs: 11am to 11pm, Fri: 11am to midnight, Sat: 10am to midnight, Sun: 11am to 11pm; Bar Hours: Sun-Thurs: open until 1am, Fri-Sat open until 2am