We all love pancakes—pancakes with blueberries, syrup, strawberries, and whipped cream. But have you ever tried Austrian Christmas pancakes? Now's the time to give your pancakes an extra twist like the Austrians do. If you're like me, and are studying for your exams and can't yet enjoy all that Christmas has to offer, these fluffy round pieces of dough and apple will get you into the Christmas mood.

My grandmother taught me this recipe, and I must say she is the queen of the “Apfeldatscherl,” as us Austrians call these pancakes. They're easy to make and people love them. Add an apple ring into the dough, cook it, sprinkle on some cinnamon and sugar, and off we go! These Christmas pancakes are perfect for breakfast, but also as a dessert with vanilla ice cream.

One normal-sized apple makes enough for one person. The apple is best for the pancakes when it’s soft and sweet. You can cut the apple as thin as you like, but I'd recommend making is 1/2-inch thick. Cook it low and slow so the dough doesn’t burn and the apple can properly cook through. If you have some leftovers (probably won't happen as soon as you taste the first one), put it in the fridge and enjoy it cold later.

Austrian Christmas Pancakes

• 2 apples
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 4-6 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
chicken
Casey Austin

Gather you ingredients.

egg, milk, butter, bread, flour, coffee, dairy product
    Chiara Maras

Core the apples.

apple
    Casey Austin

Peel them.

apple, coffee
    Casey Austin

Slice them into roughly 1/2-inch rounds.

apple, vegetable
    Casey Austin

Add flour, salt, and baking powder into a bowl.

flour, dough, milk, dairy product, bread, pastry, cereal, wheat
    Casey Austin

Beat two eggs in a separate dish and add to dry ingredients.

egg, yolk
    Casey Austin

Slowly whisk in the milk, making sure the batter doesn't get too thin. If it's too thick, add more milk!

milk, cream, dairy product, white sauce, batter, pudding, flour, egg, sweet, yogurt
    Casey Austin

Coat the apple rings with the batter.

milk, sweet, cream, dairy product
    Chiara Maras

Place the apples in the pan and pour a little more batter over each ring. Let the pancakes cook on medium heat for about 7 minutes on each side, until they turn golden.

milk, cream, dairy product
    Casey Austin

LOOK AT THE AMAZINGNESS YOU'RE ABOUT TO EAT.

chicken, pork
    Casey Austin

Sprinkle with as much cinnamon sugar as you'd like — the more, the better.

cinnamon, chocolate, pancake
    Chiara Maras

And finally, enjoy!

peanut butter, peanut, butter, chocolate, banana, cinnamon, syrup
    Chiara Maras