There’s probably nothing better to wake up to than the smell of fresh cinnamon. These are moist cinnamon muffins with chunks of soft, cooked apple in the middle and coated in a cinnamon sugar topping.

The secret to why these muffins are so good is to dip them in butter, then dip them in the cinnamon sugar. You get a slightly crisp coating on the outside with a moist muffin in between and the fresh taste of apples and cinnamon. Certainly a great recipe for the fall.

Apple Cinnamon Muffins

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:25 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour

• 2 cup diced apples
  • 2 cup plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 4 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Generously spray muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray (no need for paper liners).

In a small bowl, toss the diced apples with 2 teaspoons of flour and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon until the apples are well coated; set aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 cups of flour, baking powder, salt, and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon; set aside.

In a separate large bowl, use a hand mixer (or your hands) to cream together ½ cup butter and 1 cup sugar until blended and lightened in color.

Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each before adding the next. Then, mix in the vanilla.

Gently fold in the flour mixture, alternating with the milk. Stir until just combined.

Fold in the diced apples.

Scoop mixture into prepared pans, filling just under 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.

Melt the remaining 1/2 cup butter and place in a bowl shallow enough to just fit the top of one muffin.

In a separate bowl, mix together remaining ¼ cup granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.

Once the muffins have baked, remove from the oven and allow them to cool slightly. Submerge the tops of each muffin (one at a time) in the melted butter, then in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat. Make sure you coat the whole top of the muffin. Set aside to dry/cool and store in an airtight container.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley