Spring break is right around the corner, and I’m sure I’m not the only one gazing longingly at the croissants, cookies and cheesecakes in CTB’s pastry cooler. But avoiding overly fattening desserts doesn’t mean you have to deprive yourself all together − Angel Food Cake is a sweet but light alternative and only about 72 calories per slice. Perfect.

Medium

Prep Time: 30 minutes with electric mixer, 40 minutes without.
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: About 1 hour 10 minutes

Servings: 12

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
1 cup sifted cake flour*
12 egg whites (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
(Optional) 1/4 cup sifted cocoa**

Equipment:
Electric mixer (or really intense forearm muscles and a whisk)
Tube pan aka angel food cake pan

*Cake flour is different from all-purpose flour in that it is finer and has less gluten which helps keep the cake light and fluffy. In a pinch, you can substitute 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and make sure it’s sifted well.

**I’ve included pictures of both the vanilla and chocolate options so you get an idea of both.

Untitled

Photo by Davana Bolton

1. Place the egg whites in a mixer on high while you sift together the flour and 3/4 cup of the sugar. The egg whites should be foamy.

2. Add cream of tartar and salt, then beat until soft peaks form.

3. Gradually add the remaining sugar to the egg whites (2 tablespoons at a time) and beat until stiff peaks form.

Untitled

Photo by Davana Bolton

4. Sift flour mixture over the egg white mixture and gently fold it in. Gently fold in the vanilla.

Untitled

Photo by Davana Bolton

5. Spoon batter into ungreased tube pan; spread evenly with a spatula. Break large air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife.

Untitled

Photo by Davana Bolton

6. Bake at 375°F for 30-40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.

Untitled

Photo by Davana Bolton

Untitled

Photo by Davana Bolton

7. Invert pan and cool approximately 30 minutes before removing from the pan. You can do this by running a thin knife around the edges of the pan, the removable bottom and the inner tube.

Untitled

Photo by Davana Bolton

8. Garnish and serve.

Untitled

Photo by Davana Bolton

Best served with a side of berries and zero guilt. Enjoy!

Untitled

Photo by Davana Bolton