Sometimes I wonder who first thought of mixing together multiple breakfast items, although it is an impossible question to answer. And in the end, it doesn’t matter. All that matters is that someone did, now everyone can, and this Froot Loops French toast recipe is a beautiful result of it all. Welcome to the future.

The best part is that Froot Loops French toast may be a “treat yo self” type of breakfast, but you can always serve it with fresh fruit on the side for some added nutrition. But that is, of course, optional. It’s easy to make, and delicious to eat. That is, if you have a sweet tooth. And what better way is there to bring yourself back to childhood than with cereal and French toast?

Froot Loops French Toast

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:5 minutes
  • Total Time:15-20 minutes

• 4 slices of bread
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cup Froot Loops cereal
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • powdered sugar
  • maple syrup
Photo by Austin Lai

Mix eggs, milk, and vanilla extract in a medium sized bowl.

#SpoonTip: Chopsticks work well for mixing things quickly.

GIF by Austin Lai

Pour 2 cups of Froot Loops cereal in a plastic bag and crush them to get a breadcrumb-like consistency.

GIF by Austin Lai

Dunk each slice of bread in the egg mixture and then dredge in crushed cereal. Also, melt off some butter in a pan over medium heat.

GIF by Austin Lai

Cook the French Toast until golden brown and flip to crisp up the other side.

GIF by Austin Lai

Time for plating: serve with a bit of powdered sugar, maple syrup, and fruit on the side. Enjoy!

GIF by Austin Lai