Summer is well underway, and between tanning sessions, pool parties and cookouts, you might have noticed that it’s HOT AS HELL outside. Gazpacho, a chilled, tomato-based soup, is a traditional dish that the Spanish use to cool off and revitalize during their midday siestas. (Note: There is absolutely no air-conditioning in Spain. ¡Ay Dios mio!)

I was lucky enough to pick up the recipe from my wonderful host mom last summer while studying abroad in Granada. It is one of my all-time favorite foods, and luckily only takes a few minutes to make. It is also one of the healthiest foods out there, made almost entirely of produce. Consider it a robust alternative to the “juicing” trend.

Prep time: 5 minutes
Fridge time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes

Servings: 4-5

Easy

Photo by Sarah Strohl

4 medium, ripe tomatoes (yellow or red)
½ cucumber
½ red onion
2 cloves garlic
¼ jalapeño pepper (optional)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2½ tablespoons red wine vinegar (white wine vinegar also works)
1 slice French bread, ripped into pieces (crostini or other white breads work as a substitute)
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Roughly chop vegetables.

2. Blend tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and garlic in a tall blender. Blend tomatoes first if it’s starting to get a little bit snug in there.

Photo by Sarah Strohl

3. Add olive oil and vinegar and blend.

Photo by Sarah Strohl

4. Add the bread and blend again. This will make the soup a little thicker. Add more if needed.

Photo by Sarah Strohl

5. I love my gazpacho with a little kick, so here I add ¼ jalapeño and blend. You can leave this out if you wish, or add more if you are brave.

6. Add a touch of salt and pepper to taste, and more vinegar or jalapeño if you want more of a kick.

7. Gazpacho is best when cold, so chill your finished soup in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before consuming. It will last for up to a few days, so enjoy those leftovers!

CSC_0183

Photo by Sarah Strohl