Soup, much like Beyoncé and puppies, is cherished all over the world. Soups can range from chunky chowders to beefy broths. For some of us, the temperature is changing from those lustful days of summer heat to the dreadful days of cold and brutal winter. While you might be laughing and lounging in 80 degree weather, those of us from Upstate New York will be looking like this very shortly: 

So whether you're in it for the taste or just trying to stay warm, these recipes from around the world are sure to satisfy any comfort-seeking foodie. 

1. Thailand: Thai Vegetable Curry Soup 

vegetable, sauce
Rae Steinbach

This soup is the perfect combination of spices from Thailand and vegetables with tons of health benefits. Curry powder, made from some variation of coriander, turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, and chili peppers, will be your new best friend after you try this soup. Customize this recipe by adding in your favorite vegetables; carrots, anyone?

2. Portugal: Caldo Verde Soup

soup, vegetable, parsley, broth, herb
Tallie Gabriel

Caldo Verde, Portuguese for “green broth,” is traditionally made from potatoes, kale, olive oil, and salt. Some recipes include meats such as sausage for additional flavor. In Portugal, it is often enjoyed at special occasions, such as weddings, birthdays, and holidays. This recipe is so good you’ll want to make up your own holiday as an excuse to eat it. 

3. North Africa: Butternut Squash Soup

tea, cream, milk, sweet, coffee
Haley Claire Martin

Squash soup is traditionally eaten in many parts of North Africa, but also can be found in the cuisine of South Africa, including Mozambique and Namibia. Squash soup can be made with chunks of squash, or puréed squash. In addition to butternut, acorn squash and pumpkin squash can be used.

4. Vietnam: Pho

soup, pho, broth, beef, chicken, noodle, meat
Jennifer Cao

Consisting of broth, rice noodles, herbs, and meat, Pho (pronounced “fuh”) is a delicious soup that is a popular street food in Vietnam. Pho first appeared in the 20th century in northern Vietnam, but it became popular to the rest of the world when refugees brought pho to many countries after the Vietnam War. There are so many variations on the dish, so experiment and create your own pho!  

5. China: Egg Drop Soup

soup, vegetable, broth, meat, parsley
Julia Maguire

This Chinese staple is made by adding beaten eggs to boiling broth. This leaves you with a delicious thin strands of cooked egg that float in the soup. Egg drop soup is commonly topped with black pepper, chopped scallions, and/or tofu. Several variations exist, like this one with ginger and curry. 

6. France: French Onion Soup

french onion soup, soup, onion, bread
Kennedy Choi

French onion soup can be traced back to ancient times. It was once seen as a food for poor people, but the modern version originates in France in the 18th century. Made with beef broth and caramelized onions, French onion soup is then topped with bread or croutons and cheese, most commonly gruyère or swiss. It is then finished by broiling the soup in a ramekin, melting that beautiful cheese.

7. Italy: Stracciatella Soup

soup
Anna Hirschorn

Traditionally, stracciatella soup was served at the beginning of Easter lunch. Similar to an egg-drop soup, stracciatella soup is made by drizzling the egg, cheese, and seasoning mixture into hot broth. Pair it with some thin slices of toasted bread and immerse yourself in Italian soup heaven. 

8. Japan: Miso Soup

soup, miso soup, broth, vegetable
Judy Holtz

Miso soup consists of a water with dashi powder (the stock) and softened miso paste. So what the heck is miso paste? It’s a combination of fermented soybean, barley, or rice paste, Koji kin (a type of fungus), and salt. Miso is aged for six to thirty-six months. Sound gross? Give it a try!

As Anna Loh says, think of it as cheese with a Japanese twist. Miso has been known to stimulate digestion, fight infections, increase probiotics in the intestine and energize the body. Add in yummy ingredients such as tofu, green onions, and mushrooms. 

9. Cuba: White Bean Soup

soup, vegetable, legume, parsley, meat, pea, broth, split peas, indian pea
Savannah Carter

Many Caribbean and Latin American recipes for white bean soup originated in Spain, but each region began adding in their own twist to the dish. The main ingredients include white beans, broth, potato, and onion. Try adding in chorizo for a hearty, smoked flavor.

10. Ireland: Potato Soup

cream, soup, vegetable, milk, dairy product
Christine Chen

In the 18th century, regional patterns of diet in Ireland evolved. They consumed a greater number of potatoes, often adding them into soups and stews. All meals began to have potato as the main vegetable. While it’s hard to give Ireland all the credit for the delicious potato soup, they certainly played a role in its development. Potato soup always starts with potatoes (duh), cream/evaporated milk, butter, flour, and other vegetables such as onions, celery, and carrots. Now, there are so many variations on the soup, such as adding in bacon and cheese. Swoon.

So, while you’re wrapping yourself in blankets and binge-watching Freeform's 25 Days of Christmas, make yourself one of these steaming bowls of cultural deliciousness.