Northwestern students know all too well that maneuvering through crowded frat basements and the Keg dance floor can become an unexciting routine. If you’re looking for another way to spend a night out, you’re in luck. On December 27th, World of Beer opens its Evanston franchise. Anyone who liked its Facebook page will get a special invitation to the opening, but everyone is encouraged to come.

Photo by Hannah Lin

With 50 beers on tap and more than 500 bottles, you will not regret ditching that can of Busch Light for their extensive selection of craft beer. The establishment combines a lively atmosphere (complete with live music Thursday through Saturday) with knowledgeable staff, to create a setting where beer can be savored. General manager Mark Damas hopes that the bar will help expand customers’ knowledge of beer.

“Craft beer is booming right now in the alcohol industry,” Damas said. “We think that we have a selection [of specialty beers] that no one else possesses and we will work hard to train our employees so our product knowledge will be unsurpassed as well. We hope to provide an atmosphere for people who are interested in something other than mainstream beer.”

Photo by Hannah Lin

Each weeknight will have a specific theme, complete with discounts and prizes. On Monday night (the “Service Industry” night), $10 gift certificates will be given to customers who happen to get the last glass of beer from each keg. In addition, 10 previously selected beers will be at half price. Tuesday will be “Ladies and Loyalty” night, where for $15 you can join the Loyalty Club to get a card to keep track of how many different beers you have tried. There will be awards for different levels of accumulation. For example, once you have tried 250 beers, you will get a polo shirt and $100 gift certificate. There are awards all the way to 1000 points. Certain beers will be discounted, and all wines will be half price as well. On Wednesday, customers can enjoy trivia competitions along with a glass of beer. And Thursday night is “WOB University” night, where students can come in and show their school pride. There will be several discounted beers but this discount will be available to everyone, not just students.

Photo by Hannah Lin

“We thought it would be good to do a University night because we want Northwestern students to know that we value their presence and we hope that they enjoy themselves in our establishment,” Damas said.

World of Beer is open seven days a week and conveniently located in the Founder’s Square building at 1601 Sherman Avenue. There is no excuse why you shouldn’t check out this hopping new bar.