“I hate eating carbs and don’t want to eat bread, or beautiful pastries and cakes anymore,” said no one ever.

We all love carbs, especially when they’re in the form of fresh bread, delicious cookies or beautiful cakes. Of course, not everyone likes what carbs do to their bodies, but hey, you only live (and consume delicious foods) once.

With that motto in mind, waste no time finishing that salad in front of you and race to Maison Kayser, one of the most wonderful spots in NYC. If you’re not in New York, or Paris (sigh), or some other lovely country in which they have a location, then make sure to add this boulangerie to your list of future travel spots.

Freshly baked since 1996, Maison Kayser’s breads and other baked goods are to die for. The boulangerie being the perfect kind of shop as it specialize in all baked goods instead of strictly breads or pastries.

One of my favorite memories from Paris was walking around the city each day with a fresh bread in hand, gobbling it up as I took in the sights and sounds of the city, always excited to run into the next bakery and try my next bread. When I visited New York, I was overcome with excitement when I rounded a corner and saw Maison Kayser’s awning. I couldn’t believe I was going to get the chance to enjoy bread as I had in France.

Maison Kayser

Photo by Emily Kirsch

My favorite is their Pain Au Chocolat. Yes, that does say chocolate and yes, it is indeed a chocolate bread. Not quite a dessert and not quite a table bread, this sourdough like loaf filled with half melted chocolate chips is something of beauty and has stolen my heart, multiple times.

If chocolate isn’t your thing and you’re looking for a true baguette experience, their seeded bread is delicious – sour and salty, it’s more than you could wish for in a bread.

Maison Kayser

Photo by Emily Kirsch

My idea of the perfect day: their almond croissant for breakfast, chocolate bread for lunch and their seeded baguette for dinner, and repeat. Make sure to find one the next time you’re in NYC and you’ll never eat at Au Bon Pain again.