The first day of spring may have already rolled on by, but that does not mean we are not still scarred from all of the blizzards that have bombarded us. Finding things to do outside without freezing is difficult. Going crazy at home isn't an option either. As the snow hopefully melts for the final time, salute winter on its way out by having a hot chocolate from one of the best cafés and coffeehouses Long Island has to offer.

1. COFFEED 

More #signart I've been working on for my favorite coffee spot #coffeed ...freehanding it all day #coffeedpw #coffee #wip #chalkboardart #chalkboard #sign #signage #art #mumbot @coffeednyc #hotcocoa #tea #yum #font #typography #freehand @coffeedkorea #cam

mumbot on Flickr

This New York-based company strives to make environmentally friendly drinks and treats with most of its produce gathered from Queens. Its location in Long Island, centered in Port Washington, focuses on supporting Community Mainstreaming Associates (CMA), a program that helps individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities live purposeful lives. Coffee (or in this case hot chocolate) with a cause. 

Locations: 5B Irma Avenue, Port Washington, NY 11050

2. The Witches Brew

You can't talk about hot chocolates in Long Island without hearing this name at least once. Going to the Witches Brew means practically transporting yourself into wonderland. A little gothic, a little off-beat, but still loved by many. Out of the endless varieties you can get, I recommend the hot cocoa float, with both ice cream and whip. They also have pretty great vegan hot cocoa.

Location: 311 Hempstead Turnpike, West Hempstead, NY 11552

3. Caffe Portofino

A perfect home for hot drink and music lovers. Local art adorns the walls, and an open piano and guitar are up for grabs to play. This shop has a variety  of hot chocolate flavors available to your choice. Their Campfire Cocoa is practically like drinking a liquid s'mores, with tons of toasted marshmallow syrup. The recipe for it is also on their Facebook page. 

Location: 249 Main St, Northport, NY 11768

4. Kookaburra Coffee Co. 

An off the path, homey café provides delicious cups of hot chocolate, and anything else you could ask for. Their numerous drinks (my favorite being the Jane Doe, a raspberry mocha special) are just as yummy. You'll always get a friendly face and some kind words at the other side of the counter too. 

Location: 69 N Village Ave, Rockville Centre, NY 11570

5. Toast and Co. 

hot chocolate, cream, milk, coffee
Jenn Ryan

A diner-style atmosphere lends this eatery the perfect atmosphere for brunch. Washing it down with an undressed, but delectable cup of hot chocolate is what hits the spot. 

Location: 62 Stewart Ave, Huntington, NY 11743

If you can't bring yourself to leave home, you can always make your own decked out hot cocoa. There's nothing better than some liquid gold.