Greenwich, Connecticut is one of many coastal towns lining the Long Island Sound. In the heart of this town lies Greenwich Avenue, a place for big spenders, big earners, and big foodies. Greenwich Avenue is known for its shopping prowess, boasting major designers, upscale department stores, and selective boutiques. However, it is also known for its magnificent array of eateries. When all is said and shopped, here are the Greenwich Avenue restaurants you can’t miss.

Barcelona

Greenwich Avenue

Photo courtesy of @barcelonawinebar on Instagram

Barcelona is the best-known tapas bar in Greenwich. Between the atmosphere, the music, and the food, you will find yourself transported to La Peninsula Iberica as New England looks through the door enviously. While they cover the classics such as patatas bravas, the real showstoppers are their dishes like chorizo with sweet and sour figs. Try the jamón Serrano and Valdeon as a starter and the albondigas (meatballs), truffle hanger steak, and grilled octopus for tapas.

Abis

Greenwich Avenue

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Abis is your quintessential hibachi restaurant, but my God is it so much more. If you’re from the area you’ve attended at least three or four birthdays at Abis. If you’re looking for something more low-key, the left side of the restaurant has tables without burning lava hot surfaces (boring, but okay). Finish with the green tea ice-cream, trust me. Definitely go for the full Hibachi meal, I recommend the steak.

The Ginger Man

Greenwich Avenue

Photo courtesy of tripadvisor.com

The Ginger Man is where my family and I meet up every time my mother is lucky enough to get us all in the same state. Their menu perfectly fits each of us; a burger for dad, Mahi Mahi for momma, and a beautiful array of drinks for the now all 21+ children. Start with the butternut squash bisque and then order up the Ginger Man burger with their oh so delicious Gorgonzola fries.

The National

Greenwich Avenue

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

The National is Geoffrey Zakarian’s new American Café. Focusing heavily on seasonal ingredients, the menu perfectly showcases what it means to celebrate and respect agriculture and food. Their wood grilled Tuscan garlic bread is irresistible, and the braised manila clams are begging to be dunked in. For the main course try the organic Amish chicken and Parmesan crusted potatoes.

Sundown Saloon

Greenwich Avenue

Photo courtesy of @sundownsaloon on Instagram

Sundown Saloon was a definite “go-to” back in high school and still is every time I’m home. It’s laid back, the food is always good, and you can draw on the tables (this is huge for me). Chow down on their buffalo chicken tenders and nachos, because two appetizers makes a meal.

Back 40 Kitchen

Greenwich Avenue

Photo courtesy of back40kitchen.com

Back 40 Kitchen is new to the Greenwich scene, but it fits in perfectly. The restaurant is wholeheartedly dedicated to local and organic farming. With its own farm and in collaboration with other farms throughout New England, it works to create a menu that doesn’t just support sustainable agriculture, but rather boasts it. Start with their grilled Carolina shrimp with shaved fennel, avocado and grapefruit. Once that disappears instantaneously ask for the pasture raised pork chop with honey glazed rutabaga.

Steam

Greenwich Avenue

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Steam is a modern interpretation of Chinese and Southeast Asian Cuisine. They aim to use seasonal ingredients in their menu in order to offer healthy and innovative versions of classic favorites drawing its inspiration from the food cultures of China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, and Thailand. After finishing the roast duck bun and scallion pancakes order the baby back ribs and dan dan noodles.

Terra

Greenwich Avenue

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

More than anything Terra is known for its eccentric twists on classic pasta and pizza dishes. As you peruse their classic Italian menu your eyes will most likely widen over their impressive list of handmade pasta. Plus, their wine list ain’t bad either (and Tuesdays all bottles under $100 are half off). Start with the Maple Brook Farms burrata (shout out to VT) and then indulge in their braised beef ravioli with wild mushroom and horseradish cream sauce.

Aux Délices

Greenwich Avenue

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Aux Délices is perfect for picking up dinner prepped for the oven or just sitting down to a good lunch. There is always at least one quinoa or tabbouleh salad on the menu. It’s the perfect light and healthy meet up spot. Go for their grilled Provencal vegetable and goat cheese panini. If you’re looking for a carry out dinner, it’s hard to say no to their Roasted salmon with a cranberry compote.

Harvest Wine Bar

Greenwich Avenue

Photo courtesy of harvestwinebar.com

Harvest Wine Bar is American custom cuisine with Asian, Latin, and Mediterranean influence. Their prefix two-course lunch is only $19 and offers some pretty intensely delicious combinations. Start with their shaved Brussels sprout salad and then go for the Pea ravioli with brown butter thyme, fresh corn, and Parmesan.

Meli Melo

Greenwich Avenue

Photo courtesy of @lottelove on Instagram

Meli Melo is the crepe place. Every town needs to have a crepe place, this is ours. Their crepes, which are made from buckwheat (#glutenfree), are simple and amazing as are their soups. Here’s the thing: all their salads have this unparalleled dressing that I’ve never been able to duplicate. I’m really bitter about it. Their French onion soup may honestly be the best I’ve ever had. Once that has graced you with its existence, definitely order their spring crepe with swiss, mozzarella, artichoke, asparagus, ham, mesclun, and that holy dressing you can’t get anywhere else.