The first things you’ll see when stepping through the unassuming entrance of Tweet Café are three huge cakes slathered with fluffy frosting sitting on top of the front desk. Once you’re able to peel your eyes off the dessert, you’ll then see that all three sections of the restaurant are packed with customers, and that the “short” wait for a table is not as quick as you would like. Thankfully, there is free coffee for patient patrons.

Tweet Café

Photo courtesy of Tweet Café

The wait, however, is totally worth it. With a menu expanding so much that the restaurant had to Velcro on additional pages to the original three, Tweet Café has breakfast and lunch options for everyone from the hungover undergrad looking to eat away a headache, to the health-conscious yogi trying to reasonably indulge. Diners can choose from eight different breakfast burritos topped with one of three homemade salsas, five varieties of eggs Benedict, and pancakes or waffles customizable any way you want ‘em. Even something as simple as scrambled eggs and lox with a side of hot biscuits and honey is a level above the rest. With salmon packed in every bite, the dish offers a welcome deviation from Sargent’s artificial yellow eggs. The restaurant makes an effort to source ingredients from small farmers, and while three slabs of North Dakota’s Prairie Grove Farms bacon will set you back $3.50, they’re a worthwhile addition to any dish.

Tweet Café

Burrito. Photo courtesy of Tweet Café

Tweet Café

Brunch bread. Photo courtesy of Tweet Café

If traditional breakfast fare doesn’t work for you, Tweet has several vegetarian and vegan options — any dish can be transformed into a vegan delicacy with a simple substitution of tofu or soy chorizo for any eggs or meat in a dish. For gluten-free diners, Tweet has an entirely separate menu featuring chilaquiles (a Mexican egg and tortilla chip dish), corned beef hash, and their famous gluten-free pumpkin pancakes. Fluffy and light, the pancakes have a hint of pumpkin spice perfectly complemented by cinnamon-infused whipped cream, maple syrup and seasonal berries. Whether or not you are skipping the wheat, this is a flapjack worth trying.

Tweet Café

Photo courtesy of Tweet Café

Tweet Café

Corned beef hash. Photo courtesy of Tweet Café

Tweet also offers a lunch menu complete with salads, sandwiches and local favorites like the Korean BBQ burger, but with a breakfast menu that rivals an encyclopedia, it’s hard to even begin considering midday fare.

The café is located on Sheridan Road just a block off the Red Line’s Argyle stop. Though hopping out of bed and dragging yourself down to Le Peep on a Sunday morning may be a little easier, the 20-minute journey is well worth the effort. Make sure you hit up the ATM before going, because the eating establishment is cash only — and bring a full wallet, because you are going to want to eat.

average

Location: 5020 N. Sheridan Road
Hours of operation: Mon-Sun, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.