Sit back and relax while your mouth begins to water just day dreaming about these phenomenal margaritas of Tuscaloosa. While T-Town is not in the promise land of Tex-Mex and margaritas, the selection does not disappoint.

5. Margarita’s Grill

margaritas

This restaurant attracts quite an interesting crowd. It’s technically off-campus, so it is the go-to place for the T-Town locals. Every Tuesday night is karaoke night, and I promise you won’t want to miss it. I kid you not when I say I witnessed a man propose to his now fiance over the microphone in front of the ENTIRE restaurant. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Of course, like a typical “Bammer,” after she said yes, he yelled to everyone, “CAN I GET A ROLL TIDE?” The Happy Hour specials are what really bring the crowd in, and don’t forget to ask for Gabriel when you go! He is the sweetest waiter to ever live. The margs are a little sugary, but the price is right.

4. El Rincon

margaritas

Alright, I’m not going to lie to you… the restaurant itself is not the best-kept place in town, but let’s be honest, who hasn’t been sketched out at some point when on the hunt for a good marg? The showstopper of the margs here is the fact that they have a secret ingredient… Everclear (wayho). These margs are STRONG. They come in any flavor you could ever imagine but beware…. a “small” marg could double as a home for your pet fish. They are HUGE but only $3, talk about a dangerous combination. El Rincon is the perfect place to go if you want to pregame the pregame or celebrate after a football game victory.

3. Iguana Grill

margaritas

Another Tex-Mex MVP. The atmosphere of this place is unbeatable – it’s like eating dinner in Narnia. The whole restaurant is filled with different kinds of light fixtures and colorful paintings and even the freaking tables glow. If the restaurants glow hasn’t already won you over, then the first sip of your margarita surely will. You can’t go wrong with just their classic House Margarita. Iguana is a little more on the expensive side but not too bad, especially if you go during Happy Hour from 3 to 6.

2. Taco Mama

margaritas

Photo courtesy of Shelby Akin

Not one to rave about the food at Taco Mama,but the margaritas are hella good. They taste like the margs at a swim up bar in Cabo. Just picture that for a nice study break this spring. The walls are garage doors, so good weather at Taco Mama means sliding those up and staying for several hours. The drink prices aren’t bad especially if you are sharing a pitcher with friends. My personal favorite and one of their top-selling is the Pomegranate margarita.

1. Chuy’s

margaritas

Photo courtesy of chuys.com

Without a doubt, this is where you will find the best marg in Tuscaloosa. It is the only Tex-Mex restaurant you will find in town. I can admit I am a Tex-Mex snob considering I am from the town where Chuy’s was born (shout out to Austin) but that just means you know this recommendation is legit. We are all poor college students, so when we hear the words “Happy Hour,” it induces a little heel click. Chuy’s has a dank Happy Hour menu that includes FREE chips, salsa and queso.

margaritas

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

The other great thing about Chuy’s is that the margs aren’t the typical, bogus 99.9% sugary margarita mix and then .1% tequila. They are actually authentic and don’t make your stomach afterwards. Try their “Grandaddys’ Brew” off the Texas-sized drink menu, it includes an upside-down Corona inside the margarita with a tequila shot to pour in as well… I mean wow.

So I challenge you to try all of these places when in T-Town whether it’s just for the weekend or spread out over your four years. I believe you can do it. The Tex-Mex brat inside of me wants to remind you that this is a recommendation on the drinks not the food, BUT the drinks are forreal the best.