When people think of DC they usually think of crazy politics, museums, the Caps - or, if you're a student here, probably something about being a Hilltern. But this city has something much sweeter to offer, and to prove it to you I'm going to show you how the desserts in DC are some of the best and most creative in the U.S.

1. Tessita Cupcake From Baked & Wired

Kara Schiaparelli

Georgetown is generally associated with another cupcake establishment, but if you want a cupcake that is just as large as it is good then Baked and Wired is the place to go. The Tessita is a must-try for the dulce de leche in the middle, but other cupcakes like the Razmanian Devil and Chocolate Doom will also bring you plenty of joy.

2. Creme Brulee Doughnut From Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken

This is one of my favorite desserts in DC, maybe in the world. It's crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and sweet in every bite. If you don't try this donut, you should definitely try another customer favorite, their donuts and chicken.

3. Any Ice Cream From Thomas Sweet

Xinwei Zeng

All of the flavors here are great for a hot day. Thomas Sweet is one of the only ice cream shops in DC with President Obama's seal of approval, and they deserve it.

4. Vegan Brownie From Busboys and Poets

It's a decadent brownie and comes with ice cream... what could be better? Busboys and Poets also has other vegan dessert options, like their vegan cheesecake. Whether you try their vegan or dairy desserts you'll definitely leave happy and full.

5. Merveilleux From Un Je Ne Sais Quoi...

Faith Branch

These are incredibly sweet but not overwhelming, which is important because they're kind of big. My favorite is the dark chocolate but they also come in white chocolate, coffee, speculoos (Biscoff cookie flavor) and violet. I'm not sure what these desserts are made of but the name is French for wonderful, and they don't disappoint.

6. Sandwich From Captain Cookie

ice, ice cream, cookie, chocolate, sandwich, cream, peanut butter, dough
Xinwei Zeng

The best part about Captain Cookie is that you can choose every component used in your sandwich. You can do one or two cookie flavors, and whichever ice cream you would like. I prefer a classic chocolate chip cookie but they also have fun flavors like snickerdoodle and funfetti. Come to their shop at George Washington University or check out their food truck.

7. Any Cupcake From Sticky Fingers Sweets & Eats

Faith Branch

There is a reason that Doron Petersan, baker and founder, won Cupcake Wars twice. Not only do the cupcakes not taste like they are vegan, they also beat a lot of the non-vegan cupcake competition.

8. Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie From Pie Sisters

A customer fave is the Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie, which is one of their specialty pies. Pie Sisters are dedicated to creating interesting pie flavors. If you're like me and you don't care for pecans,  try their key lime pie or coconut pie. If you're really looking to satisfy your sweet tooth go for the Salted Caramel Chocolate Dream (I mean... try and stop me!). Or you can get one of these flavors in their signature cuppies. The options are endless.

9. Any Cupcake From The Sweet Lobby

Another winner of Cupcake Wars, The Sweet Lobby offers fresh and cute cupcakes. If you stop by, don't forget to try one of their macarons.

10. Cake Slice From Bread Furst

This bakery's main focus is bread, which is carefully made and should be tried, but they also have great desserts like their cakes. If you're in the neighborhood you should also try their honey glazed donut.

11. Brown Butter Almond Brittle Ice Cream From Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams

Faith Branch

Jeni's finally opened a shop in DC, where you can get fresh scoops of their creative flavors. But if you can't make it downtown, head to your nearest Whole Foods for a taste of their most popular flavor. Other noteworthy flavors here are the Brambleberry Crisp and Goat Cheese with Red Cherries. 

12. Cereal Milk™ Soft Serve From Momofuku Milk Bar

This item is a Momofuku classic for a reason. Who says you can't have breakfast for dessert? Stop by and try their famous soft serve or one of their menu items like their truffles and cookies. 

Personally, I'd recommend a slice of their Birthday Cake, not only because you will have never tasted such an amazing slice of anything (even pizza) like that before, and you'll be all set for the perfect Instagram (see above). That is, if you can wait!

13. The Works From Wicked Waffle

Wicked Waffle doesn't offer syrup, but when you can have a waffle like this, who needs it? This sweet waffle is covered in vanilla ice cream, strawberries, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce and powdered sugar.

14. Chocolate Piñata From Uncle Julio's

What's not to like about a piñata made from chocolate that rains dessert when you break it? Come here with your friends during a special occasion so you can enjoy this adult piñata. Plus, smashing stuff is a really great stress reliever - I will definitely be stopping by come finals season.

15. Cake From CakeLove in a Jar

Faith Branch

Ok, so CakeLove in a Jar is technically an online store but their headquarters are based in Alexandria and they formerly had a store on U Street, which closed to expand their online store. Don't worry, you don't have to order online to taste these cakes. They can be found at many places in DC like Whole Foods, Georgetown University, and Union Kitchen Grocery. Check out the full list here.

16. Strawberry Ginger Lemonade Popsicle From Pleasant Pops

This is the sweetest palate cleanser you'll ever have. Strawberry Ginger Lemonade is a refreshing flavor but it's not the only great popsicle! Pleasant Pops also offers other mouth watering flavors like Mexican Chocolate, Blueberry Pancake and Cookies and Cream.

17. Banana Bourbon Caramel Scoop From Ice Cream Jubilee

Don't forget to get your ice cream in one of their fresh waffle cones that they make in-house. If you don't want a waffle cone, Ice Cream Jubilee is currently partnering with DC Doughnuts to offer ice cream-donut sandwiches so get one before they're gone.

18. Chocolate Chip Jar From The Cookie Jar DC

The Cookie Jar DC sells most of its cookie dough through vendors like Whole Foods and The Davenport Lounge, the American University coffee shop (see the full list of vendors here), but they also have a pop-up shop in Adams Morgan.

19. Cookies n' Cream Cake Pop From Baked by Yael

This cake pop won Washingtonian Magazine's Best of Washington award for its crumbled cookies and cream cheese frosting. Baked by Yael has adorable cake pops that you can get made in a ton of flavors and cute styles. You'll want to make sure to take a ton of pics before you take a bite.

20. Red Velvet Cupcake From The Cakeroom

This is the cupcake that will absolutely change your life. This is the cupcake that will make your favorite cupcake red velvet. This cupcake will always text you back with funny gifs (cannot confirm nor deny from experience).  Also, they are super cute. Even if you think you absolutely will never be a red velvet fan, they also offer great cookies, pies, bars, and squares. Something for everyone.

21.  Cinnascone From Buttercream Bakeshop

The Buttercream Bakeshop sells gorgeous cakes that you can have at your fancy event, but you'll want to just keep in your dorm room all for yourself. Cake can get pretty big though so if you're looking for something much quicker and cheaper, their cinnascones are totally the way to go.

22. Gelato Pops From Dolci Gelati Cafe

Have some fun with a gelato pop or one of their cute mini pops. Both are great so choose wisely. They also offer pints of gelato and sorbet that you can take home and enjoy during a Netflix binge.

23. Baltimore Bomb From Dangerously Delicious Pies

This pie comes loaded with Berger cookies and doesn't disappoint. Dangerously Delicious Pies has many storefronts in DC, so find the one closest to you and head over.

24. Brown Butter Doughnut From District Doughnut

This doughnut place is a DC must-try so stop in for a morning pick-me-up. Or head in between your classes. Other customer favorites from District Donut are the Dulce de Leche donut and the Caramel Apple Streusel donuts. Better hurry over though! The doors close as soon as District Donut sells out for the day (it's happened to me, would not recommend)!

25. Cherry Blossom Desserts From Literally Anywhere

Cherry Blossom season is an important time for DC. Lots of dessert vendors join in on the fun by creating themed treats. Tasting one of these flowery desserts while looking at the cherry blossoms is peak DC and something you must experience before you die.

DC has great dessert shops sprinkled around the city. Try as many as you can during your time in the capital and then pick your favorite. (Personally, I could never choose). Next on my list is definitely going back to Captain Cookie for my masterpiece that is an ice cream sandwich with peanut butter cookies and chocolate ice cream.... I know, it's pretty killer.