So your parents aren’t in town and your significant other is MIA (or not real), therefore you don’t have the money or transportation to get your sushi fix at the glamorous Japanese restaurant that is Kofusion. But there are utopias of cheap sushi within walking distance of campus. Sushi Rock is conveniently located on Green Street, luring stray walkers in with dynamic names (take note of the Hawaiian roll, including crab, pineapple, cucumber and sesame seeds). Upon entering, the dark wood floors, low lighting and rows of two-chaired tables epitomize the typical date-restaurant, although the sophistication is not overbearing, but instead, welcoming.

Photo by Molly Krohe

A smiling host sweeps you up to a table. Yes, it does take a while to get over the shock of a sit-down restaurant on Green Street. And if that doesn’t wake you up, the  plop of a three -inch thick menu on the table will. The novel-esque menu is column after column of sushi. For those who might shy away from sushi, there is also different types of Japanese options and meal specials, including chicken entrees. While a cheaper roll will run up to $5.99 for six pieces, the price is worth it and the aesthetics are exquisite, leaning more towards an art form rather than something meant to be digested.

California roll Photo by Molly Krohe

The finesse of the restaurant is further reflected in their specialty rolls; while they range from $12-$14 dollars for an eight piece roll, they are much more a meal than a side. If you are looking to fill up, try the unicorn roll, composed of lobster, white and red salmon and Hamachi. Three fish in one and under fifteen bucks. The sushi options are limitless and don’t forget the drink, appetizer and dessert options (yes, it has dessert options). After eating at Sushi Rock, you’ll want to learn how to use chop sticks.

average

Address: 621 E. Green St  Champaign, IL

Hours of operation: Mon- Wed 11am-10pm, Thurs-Fri 11am-11pm, Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-9pm