During the grim times of the financial crisis, young Louie and Daniel sat at their desks, dazed by the blinking blue lights of their computer screens. Seeking to do something that they truly loved, they left to traverse the world. Indulging in the simple happiness that food brings, they realized that street food was the best way to experience all the different cuisines out there.

burrito DC

Photo courtesy of Rito Loco

But it was only the morning after a barbecue with friends that they came up with their life-changing idea behind Rito Loco. They were cooking up some breakfast burritos using the left over cheesy pasta shells and Danny’s special “crack sauce,” only to find their friends desperately crying out for more. At that moment, they knew they hit the jackpot idea that needed to be shared with the masses.

burrito DC

Photo courtesy of Rito Loco

So started the long journey to build what is today one of the most sought out, creative burrito food trucks and store in DC. Rito Loco owners Louie and Daniel spent an entire year experimenting to find the best flavor combinations possible to conjure up the menu they have today:

Rib: Savory pulled pork made from baby back ribs that are seasoned with a dry rub for 48 hours, braised and then pulled.

burrito DC

Photo courtesy of Ellie Campton

OG: Seasoned lean Angus ground beef that raises the room temperature with its spicy kick.

Mojito: Light and citrusy pulled chicken. Louie’s personal favorite with the habanero sauce.

burrito DC

Photo courtesy of Rito Loco

Caribbean Fish: Exotic 10 spice dry rubbed tilapia.

Veggie: Local vegetables sautéed in coconut oil. Ooh, fancy.

Spoon Tip: These are all available in a rito, taco or spinach salad bowl.

Louie and Daniel just want to give their customers the best bang for their buck with burritos full of juicy, flavor-packed meat, punchy, homemade pico de Gallo and a four-cheese blend to tie all these flavors together.

burrito DC

Photo courtesy of Rito Loco

But don’t mistake them for the typical burritos you can get on the high street. These are different from any burritos that I personally have tasted so far in that they have no cheap fillers like rice or beans (cutting out those carbs, one by one). Plus, did I mention the DESSERT RITOS? Yeah, that’s right, be sure to try their Smore’s Ritos and Fruit Ritos.

burrito DC

Photo courtesy of Rito Loco

To celebrate Rito Loco’s awesomeness, we’re also sharing with you a promo code that will give you $10 OFF your Rito Loco order with the food delivery app Caviar. Just type in “dcfoodies” and you’ll be gucci.

P.S. Rito Loco knows what it’s like to be a student, so their storefront is open until 4am on Fridays and Saturdays. Just picture yourself biting into a succulent mojito chicken taco after a night of many (too many…) shots. *Drunchies here, drunchies there, drunchies everywhere.*