Having lived in West Campus for almost 2 years now, I’ve come to the realization that there are not enough pizza places within walking distance. Up until this year, there was only Mellow Mushroom which, don’t get me wrong, is quite delicious. However, the opening of Tower Pizza Bistro this school year has allowed me to mix up my pizza options and try something new.

_DSC9445

Photo By Karina Rao

Nestled between the Rio Grande parking garage and Red Mango, Tower Pizza Bistro has a convenient location right in the heart of West Campus. Upon walking in, you are greeted by a hostess (and on occassion, the owner) and seated either on the main floor or upstairs in the loft.

I ventured there, of course, to see what all the hype was about. I ordered the 12” Mushroom Madness pizza to split with a friend, and generously treated myself to 3 slices. Not only was the pizza topped with mushrooms (my favorite veggie, like, EVER), but a crimini mushroom sauce covered it as well.

Too. Good. For. Words.

_DSC9444

Photo By Karina Rao

The menu boasts affordable prices for both the food and drinks, with a 12” specialty pizza costing $10.99 and happy hour prices available Monday through Saturday. Not in the mood for pizza? The restaurant also serves calzones, salads, pasta and even burgers. From eggplant parmagiana to mushroom pizza, Tower Pizza Bistro is an Italian food-lover’s heaven.

Another perk? It happened to be happy hour (I didn’t plan that, I swear) so not only was the beer only $2, but there was an extra $2 off all appetizers. With such a great deal,  I could not resist the spinach and artichoke dip accompanied by warm garlic bread.

Overall, I’d say my experience at Tower Pizza Bistro was a good (and delicious) one! The atmosphere is fun and inviting, and the waiters are pretty damn cool. Considering how affordable it was, I plan on heading back there pretty soon, maybe for their popular trivia night on Mondays.

Check out their website for a list of happy hour specials and events going on in the restaurant.

average

Location: 2222 Rio Grande St, Austin, TX 78705
Hours of Operation: 11am-12am