This year Matcha has pretty much become the new PSL. Instead of toting Pumpkin Spice Lattes with their Uggs and Longchamps, basic bitches now carry their venti Iced Green Tea Latte in hand as they run to brunch. I should know, I’m one of them.

I’m making a confession right now publicly so everyone can hear. I, Molly Schwartz, am a caffeine addict. Seriously. I drink up to three cups of coffee a day, and if I don’t get at least one cup of joe in my system, I’m completely out of commission for the day.

I started drinking coffee in elementary school, completely inundated with milk, but I still started getting that caffeine rush before puberty even hit. I joke that it stunted my growth (I’ll never quite see 5’4″), but in reality, it’s definitely something I should take care of. So, to attempt to wean myself off of my beloved coffee, I’ve tried to switch to green tea, and I’ve found my new love: Matcha.

Living in New York, I heard about the OG MatchaBar out in Brooklyn; but living on the Upper West Side and being lazy, I never felt like dragging myself there. When they announced that they would be broadening their horizons to Chelsea, I audibly yelped. Within two days of their grand opening, I was at their register ordering my beloved green tea latte.

To be honest, I got lost on my way to MatchaBar’s new location in Chelsea, mostly because I went the wrong way and got distracted by the fact that Uma Temakeria is literally around the corner from MatchaBar.

Matchabar

Photo by Molly Schwartz

It’s easy to spot the green shop from a while away, thanks to their iconic green awning. Once you walk in, the sweet-as-pie staff welcomes you in just like their dark green and deep brown decor. It’s kind of like walking into a way hipper version of your grandma’s living room. Same homey and comfy feeling, just with a lot more cool factor.

Matchabar

Photo by Molly Schwartz

There’s a lot of options to choose from, with a little fridge filled with waters, sandwiches, and other to-go snacks, along with their actual menu of lil’ bites and drinks. They have a lot to choose from in regards to drinks, including lots of different flavors to add to your iced or hot matcha.

Matchabar

Photo by Molly Schwartz

I went with the simple hot matcha latte with just a little bit of honey and it was pretty much perfect. It went down smooth as hell and their cute ass illustrated cup was just the cherry on top. If you’re trying to find another option for your caffeine fix, I’d recommend MatchaBar as your first try.

Matchabar

Photo by Molly Schwartz