Recently opened after months of anticipation, Gotham West Market is reminiscent of a smaller, less crowded–but equally unique–Chelsea Market. Located on 11th Avenue, this new market is a short walk from Port Authority and Times Square. Although a bit far for the average NYU student, the trip up to Midtown West is well worth it because of the diverse food, quality service and great space.

Gotham West Market

Photo by Becky Hughes

The Market is an indoor food court with eight different food vendors that have set up shop in the open space: Blue Bottle Coffee, The Brooklyn Kitchen, The Cannibal, El Colmado, Genuine Roadside, Court Street Grocers Sandwich Shop, Little Chef, and Ivan Ramen Slurp Shop. Each shop has its own counter or table seating, but there are also benches where patrons can sit and eat.

Gotham West Market

Photo by Becky Hughes

Blue Bottle Coffee, based in Brooklyn and Oakland, CA, is a popular spot for high-quality coffee, pastries and hot chocolate. Blue Bottle offers a specialty drip coffee that is made by straining the coffee through the bottom of a coffee mug and plate. They offer yogurt parfaits in charming little mason jars that you can wash and keep as a reminder of your trip to Midtown West. Blue Bottle’s hot chocolate is delicious as well, not too sweet and with a creamy, rich melted-chocolate-bar texture.

Gotham West Market

Photo by Becky Hughes

Little Chef has a smaller menu than most of the other restaurants at Gotham West Market, but it is one of the busiest. Highly recommended by the staff, the egg fried rice includes a large helping of rice and a garnish of sesame seeds sprinkled on top. Served with a homemade yogurt sauce and homemade chili sauce, the dish makes for a high quality and filling farm-to-table meal.

Gotham West Market

Photo by Becky Hughes

Genuine Roadside, located in its own wing on the south side of Gotham West Market, serves up tacos, sandwiches, burgers, milkshakes and more. Ask the personable and friendly staff for their favorites because it may be hard to choose from all of the enticing options on the menu. The Buttermilk Battered Chicken Sandwich–a large, tender and juicy piece of fried chicken topped with sambal mayo and apple-celeriac slaw–is a stellar choice. Arrive ready to chow down because this sandwich is super fulling. And don’t forget to pair it with an order of sweet potato fries; they have a spicy kick plus one order is easily enough to share with a couple of friends.

average

Location: 600 11th Ave (bet 44th and 45th)
Hours of Operation: Mon-Thurs: 7 AM to 11 PM, Fri: 7 AM-12 AM, Sat: 8 AM-12 AM Sun: 8 AM-11 PM