A few weeks ago, I was on my way to class when I was distracted by Mi Corazón, a food truck I have never seen on campus. Serving up Mexican fare, I was keen on returning to try it out. Finally after weeks of waiting Mi Corazón has finally returned to campus and is here to stay every Tuesday right inside Roddick Gates.

taco

Photo by Helena Lin

As I walked up to the food truck I was immediately greeted by the tantalizing aroma of deliciousness, followed by chill Latino music and the owner Rafael. Extremely friendly and enthusiastic, Rafael was happy to explain the components of each of his tacos and what separates his food from other trucks. Being a food truck in Montréal, you will find that each dish draws inspiration from different cuisines.

taco

Photo by Helena Lin

Unable to decide what to eat, my friends and I decided to just order one of everything to get the full Mi Corazón experience and to give you the inside scoop.

1. Albacore Tuna Taco

taco

Photo by Helena Lin

Instead of the Baja fish tacos that you often see being served on food trucks, Mi Corazón serves up a lighter, more vibrant fish taco. This taco features a beautifully cooked piece of albacore tuna, topped with beet infused frijoles, chipotle lime mayo, an assortment of pickled vegetables, and finished with some nori, bonito flakes and sesame seeds.

There is a perfect balance of flavours between the saltiness of the fish, the creaminess of the frijoles and mayo, and the crunchy tang of the pickled vegetables. With just a bit of Asian flare, this taco is guaranteed to hit the spot.

2. Cauliflower Taco

taco

Photo by Helena Lin

I feel that often vegetarian options can fall short, especially in Mexican cuisine where the the dishes are very meat heavy. However, this cauliflower taco far exceeded my expectations. What I love about this taco is that it isn’t just a vegetarian option to please consumers, it is a beautifully executed dish that everyone can appreciate and enjoy.

The cauliflower is roasted with poblano chilis, garlic, red onion, coriander and a few other ingredients that Rafael was unwilling to divulge. Finished with a bit of crumbled feta, pickled onion, toasted sunflower seeds and a drizzle of olive oil, this taco definitely has a Mediterranean touch. The way in which the cauliflower is roasted almost gives it a meatiness in both flavour and texture.

3. Pulled Pork Taco

taco

Photo by Helena Lin

Definitely the heartiest of the three, this pulled pork taco is the perfect marriage of Mexican flavours and American Barbecue. The pulled pork is tossed in a barbecue sauce flavoured with Achiote, which is a spice that can be described as Cuban turmeric. Then, it is topped with frijoles, pickled cabbage, coriander, pickles, and a sprinkling of tortilla chips.

Judging by the fact that I could only get a bite of this taco before it was demolished by my friends, I would say it is a phenomenal creation. Even with the melted old cheddar and monterey jack cheese between the two tortillas, this taco still has a sense of delicacy to it.

4. Poutine

taco

Photo by Helena Lin

No food truck in Montreal would be complete without it’s own rendition of a poutine. In addition to the classic flavours of poutine, the “Dirty Martinez” is loaded up with a chili con carne flavoured with homemade Mexican chorizo, guacamole, sour cream, and tortilla chips.

What I love about this poutine is that it still has the decadence and richness of a traditional Quebecois poutine, however the guacamole, sour cream, and hint of lime juice really adds a dimension of clean and refreshing flavours.

5. Pogo

taco

Photo by Helena Lin

The pogo de pedro at Mi Corazón is definitely not the run of the mill pogo you will see at a state fair. Mimicking the flavours of an Elote, Mexican street corn, the batter of the pogo contains guajillo chili, garlic and cilantro, creating a far more flavourful corn dog.

As you bite into this pogo you taste the creaminess of the mayo, tang of the mustard, heat of the house made hot sauce, crunch of the pogo, it’s truly an explosion of flavours.

6. Iced Tea

taco

Photo by Helena Lin

To wash everything down, be sure to grab a cup of Mi Corazón’s refreshing hibiscus iced tea.

Last Words

All in all, Mi Corazón is definitely going down as one of my favourite food trucks in Montreal. The staff are extremely friendly and passionate about the food they put out. The food is phenomenal, and although Mi Corazón draws influence from many other cultures, the core of the food is still authentically Mexican.