Food is such a huge part of a country’s culture, and is one of the most exciting parts of traveling abroad. Whether you traveled the globe or have never left the country, you don’t have to travel the world to find authentic international food. In fact, you don’t even have to leave Boston.

Here in Boston we have access to so many different types of food from all over the world. It is so much cheaper to travel the culinary world in Boston, than to fly to each individual country. You can even eat meals from seven different countries for just under $50 – and I did just that. Come along on my culinary journey around the world. First up…

Italy

world

Photo by Andrea Leelike

Caffé Vittoria – Macchiato and Cannoli $6.00

In Italian culture, coffee might as well be it’s own meal. If you are craving authenticity stop by Caffé Vittoria in the North End for Lavazza coffee and a cannoli so good it could rival one from Mike’s Pastry – bold claim, I know. There is nothing like a good cup of coffee and dessert.

Greece

world

Photo by Andrea Leelike

Gyro City – Pork Gyro $7.99

A personal favorite food of mine is the gyro (pronounced YEE-ro). For the most authentic, in my opinion, you have to go to Gyro City in Fenway. They serve their’s up – controversially – with fries which is the way I always knew them to be. Juicy, tender and full of flavor, I recommend the pork gyro for the most authentic experience.

Vietnam

world

Photo by Andrea Leelike

Bon Me – Baguette $6.50

French influence brought Vietnam the baguette and they supplied the rest. A popular restaurant and food truck in Boston, Bon Me makes amazingly fresh and bold bon me sandwiches. Choose your meat and then they serve it up with a pickled carrot and daikon salad, cucumber, red onion, pate, housemade spicy mustard and cilantro. With a hint of heat and a lot of crunch, be careful or you may become addicted. Check out their food truck schedule to know when they will be near you.

Thailand

world

Photo by Andrea Leelike

S&I – Lunch Special  $6.95

Boston does Thai food, and it does it well. Voted the best Thai restaurant in Boston in 2015, S&I in Allston had to be a stop on my international food tour. Not only is their food incredibly flavorful, but they have one of the best lunch deals out there. For just $7.95 you get an appetizer, soup and entree. I chose Pad Thai, Gyoza Dumplings and Wonton Soup all which more than satisfied my after class hunger.

Mexico

world

Photo by Andrea Leelike

El Pelon – El Guapo and Horchata  $9.95

Everyone loves good Mexican, especially burritos. For something more authentic than Chipotle, go to El Pelon in Fenway. The most popular menu item is their El Guapo burrito. A steak burrito with all the typical fixings, they also include plantains for something a little sweet. This is what makes this item the most popular on the menu. Grab a glass of their horchata for a truly authentic experience.

Japan

world

Photo by Andrea Leelike

Fin’s Sushi – Idaho Maki $4.75

For all those vegetarians out there, this one is for you. Sushi doesn’t have to mean raw fish – even though all types of sushi are bomb. For reasonably priced and delicious sushi, look no further than Fin’s. With locations all over Boston, you are never too far away from authentic Japanese food. My favorite non-fish roll is the Idaho Maki. Other vegetarian options include a Grilled Vegetable Roll, Avocado Maki and a Cucumber and Avocado Roll – all under $5.00.

Chile

world

Photo courtesy of Andrea Leelike

Chacarero – Spicy Chicken Chacarero – $7.75

Everyone travels to Europe or Asia for their food, but don’t forget this long, skinny country in South America. There is an authentic Chilean restaurant in Downtown Crossing named after it’s signature sandwich the chacarero. At first the combination of ingredients may sound odd, but it’s good – trust me. Spicy chicken, muenster cheese, green beans, avocado sauce, tomato, roasted red pepper and their special sauce between two halves of authentic chilean bread make for a party in your mouth. You might want to grab a glass of milk. When they say spicy, they mean spicy.

Total: $49.89 (excluding tax)

Let your culinary adventure begin…

world