Newly renovated and reopened, Dojo’s location makes it the perfect stop for NYU students on the hunt for convenient Japanese food.  The interior décor, layout and menu have all been redone for a fresh new restaurant. Both the style and the ambiance reflect modern taste mixed with Japanese influences as opposed to the previous, more Americanized style. Songs by popular artists like Young the Giant, Of Monsters and Men, Band of Horses and Lana Del Rey can be heard while patrons dine.

Dojo’s lunch and dinner menus are very different, with the lunch menu offering bento boxes and the dinner menu offering fusion tapas-styled small plates. The entrance of the restaurant offers customers a full bar and a long table for large parties to sit at.

Dojo

Photo by Tallie Gabriel

Dojo’s kale salad is a starter that can easily be shared between a few people. Though ordinary in appearance, Dojo’s homemade dressing gives this salad a unique touch.

Every dish is presented in a creative way, with the sashimi and tofu and eggplant being some of the more elaborate presentations. The sashimi is high-quality and there are enough pieces to share, while the fried tofu and eggplant come bathed in a broth that lends a distinctive flavor.

Dojo

Photo by Tallie Gabriel

One of the restaurant’s standout dishes is the ebi tempura bun, a traditional steamed bun with battered and fried shrimp, miso soybeans and a homemade signature sauce. (Tip: order one for yourself because you definitely won’t want to share). Dojo also offers an intriguing take on fried chicken, serving the dish cold with thinly sliced onion and a light dressing.

Dojo

Photo by Tallie Gabriel

The new Dojo is a unique Japanese-inspired experience, one that is convenient and affordable for NYU students.

Dojo

Photo by Tallie Gabriel

average

Location: 14 W 4th St (bet Broadway and Mercer)
Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri: 11am to midnight