Although I’ve never lived in New York, I’m a bit of a band-wagoner. I could tell you where to find the world’s best cookies or even how many calories are in a Black Tap milkshake. As a Big Apple aficionado, I was thrilled to hear that Dig Inn, the wildly popular fresh food café, was opening up its twelfth location in Boston’s Back Bay.

I feverishly filled out their online inquiry form, asking if I could drop in to meet the team for the grand opening on Wednesday, July 13. Knowing that the lunch rush would equate to chaos, I decided to come for breakfast, which is served daily from 7 am to 10:30 am. I’ll do pretty much anything to try out some tasty food, even if that means waking up early before work.

dig inn

Photo by Meredith Davin

I could hardly contain my enthusiasm as I walked through the front door. The windows bring in natural light that gives life to the whole restaurant. It feels like you’re visiting that friend whose home you’ve always envied. You know, the one whose mom always had every napkin folded, pillow fluffed and sweet snacks on the counter tops.

Photo by Meredith Davin

Photo by Meredith Davin

The white interior is splashed with hues of salmon and gray, and wood accents add to the warm, homey feeling. The tables are spotted with small succulents (which are, in my opinion, much more durable decorations than flowers). With a full dining room and patio, Dig Inn Back Bay aims to have less of fast-casual feel and more of a dining experience than their other locations.

dig inn

Photo by Meredith Davin

Each poster they put up is meaningful, such as their “Dig-Isms,” the restaurant’s mantra and mission they stand by: They partner with and source from local farms all over the Northeast. All sauces, breads, spreads, and servings are created in house, and their dining room features a wide communal table.

In a day and age where “farm-to-table” has become cliché, Dig Inn brings you back to the basics. Community revolves around food, and food around community.

dig inn

Photo by Meredith Davin

The layout was imagined and implemented by ASH NYC, an interior design and property development team from Brooklyn. During lunch and dinner, guests will line up by the golden rope to build their salads and bowls. For breakfast, however, guests can choose between ready-made treats on the glass counter and few made-to-order items.

dig inn

Photo by Meredith Davin

Filled with seasonal fruits, chia seeds and yogurt, jam jars colorfully cover the counter. Their overnight oats make the perfect grab-and-go breakfast when you’re crunched for time.

dig inn

Photo by Meredith Davin

The friendly staff will gladly guide you along their selection of breads and toast, from Avocado Smash to Pink Beet Toast, many of which are gluten free. Consider grabbing a cup of Counterculture Coffee at Dig Inn’s first full coffee and matcha bar. Feeling adventurous, I decided to try a matcha latte and wasn’t disappointed.

dig inn

Photo by Meredith Davin

Their frittata flavors change daily, depending on what ingredients are available. I tried their summer squash frittata, which had bites of yellow and green squash interspersed in the fluffy egg base.

dig inn

Photo by Meredith Davin

Intrigued by the ingredients, I gave their quinoa waffles a try. This gluten free take on a childhood classic is topped with lemon zest ricotta and maple syrup. You bet I savored every single bite.

dig inn

Photo by Meredith Davin

Full to the brim, I knew I couldn’t possibly eat anything else. Duly noted for my future as a food taster: one must be careful about portion consumption. I watched a number of customers order the Harvest Bowl filled with quinoa, a poached egg, avocado, veggies and sunflower seeds. It looked almost too beautiful to eat. I snapped a photo of an employee’s breakfast before heading out; it’s definitely on my list to try next time.

dig inn

Photo by Meredith Davin

The best part about opening day? All proceeds went to Future Chefs, one of Dig Inn’s partners that runs an after-school program providing high school students with culinary skills. Dig Inn has also committed to donating their surplus produce to Lovin’ Spoonfuls, a Brookline-based non-profit that redistributes food to prevent waste.

dig inn

Photo courtesy of Dig Inn

Dig Inn is known for its marketbowls and salads, so I’m eager to return for another meal. You can build your own bowl from a number of proteins, grains and greens. The Back Bay kitchen serves lunch and dinner until 10 pm every night. There’s truly no excuse not to check it out.

dig inn

Photo by Meredith Davin

From fabulous service to farm-friendly meals, Dig Inn exceeded all expectations I had for my visit. Later this year, the restaurant plans to expand further in Boston, the hometown of CEO & Founder Adam Eskin. Welcome to the neighborhood, let’s dig inn!