When you stay by the sea, the living is easy, the sun is hot and the food is hotter. That pretty much sums up my utterly amazing week in Santorini. Throughout my whole vacation I ate everything, but if there’s anything in common with each meal, it’s the insane amount of seafood on the menu. Let’s face it, when the Mediterranean ocean is next to you there’s no reason fish shouldn’t appear all over the place.

Fried Santorini Tomato balls (Tomatokeftedes)

Santorini

Photo by Net Supatravanij

The Greeks are famous for their tomatoes. They put them into everything. Literally. But for good reason, and these special Santorini tomatoes are no exception. They’re locally grown cherry tomatoes that have that unique texture due to the volcanic nature of the soil—plus, they’re full of minerals and nutrients as well. The tomatoes are peeled, seeded and chopped into fine, tiny pieces before shaped into patties and fried. You should normally season the finished product with Greek sea salt and olive oil for the full gastronomical experience. Follow this super easy recipe that takes only 20 minutes to cook.

Fish

Santorini

Photo by Net Supatravanij

Whether you’re at a simple Greek taverna or somewhere more modern in Santorini, the selection of fish is almost guaranteed to blow your mind. The abundance of choices is mind-boggling and unfortunately I didn’t have enough stomach or time to try everything my eyes wanted me to. My favorite was the sea bream. You may have heard of cod, ordered it in a nice restaurant on a date or cooked it at a big dinner party, but the grilled sea bream is definitely an awesome alternative to try. In case some of you want to give Mediterranean fish a go, here are a few suggestions on how to make a meal out of it:

Shrimp

Santorini

Photo by Net Supatravanij

It’s not really a Mediterranean-themed party without some shrimp, now is it? Simple and easy, grilled shrimp is a classic must-have choice whether you’re having a romantic dinner for two or need a quick weeknight fix. Since it’s summertime, throw some shrimp on the grill (or learn how to sauté them here). I think the secret to any shrimp dish is in the dipping sauce that goes with it. Check out these 10 different ways you can grill shrimp—you can’t go wrong with any of these options.

Mussels

Santorini

Photo by Net Supatravanij

The mussels here can come in many variations, and the most popular way to have it is steamed in white wine sauce and garlic. But after vacationing in Greece for a week I’ve officially found my favorite mussel dish: mussels saganaki. The mussels are cooked like usual but are bathed in a feta cheese tomato soup which is arguably just as tasty on its own. It’s a much healthier choice than a lot of other seafood options and is good for an appetizer or a main dish. Click this link for the full recipe, then get book your flight to Santorini.