Since August, freshmen have been hearing the upperclassmen buzz about how much better the DUC food is this year, and how lucky us new kids are to have unlimited swipes. While I feel #blessed for my unlimited DUC swipes, I just need more.

But finding good eats as a vegetarian near a college campus in the South where BBQ is king AND queen isn’t always easy. Below are my vegetarian top picks from each restaurant in Emory Village (yes, I am aware that Chipotle is not on my list. Are you aware of what E.Coli does to your body?).

Don’t waste your time guessing what to get in the Village anymore, I’ve provided you with a list of the absolute best. Note: Not all Emory Village restaurants are listed, only the ones with food worthy of trying.

Zoe’s Kitchen

Greek Salad

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of @zoeskitchen on Instagram

A Greek salad is a Greek salad, but Zoe’s Kitchen spices it up and throws potato salad into it! I know this sounds weird, and if you’re a picky eater like me, you will definitely freak out the first time. I’m telling you it’s ACTUALLY good.

Basil Pesto Hummus

vegetarian

HUMMUS. This hummus is the perfect combination of salty, chunky and flavorful. They got you covered with the classic hummus, but also spice it up with basil pesto and red pepper. Hummus is our source of protein here, so don’t stop until it’s gone or until you run out of pita and are too embarrassed to ask for more.

Falafel King

Falafel Sandwich

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of @spoon_emory on Instagram

If you’re going to get one thing in Emory Village, it better be a falafel sandwich doused in DANK sauce. The legendary falafel sandwich is a warm piece of pita stuffed with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and falafel. Don’t think the sandwich sounds so legendary? It’s the sauce endless amounts of sauce you pour over the pita that makes it so amazing, so do yourself a favor and never stop pouring.

Slice and Pint

Prosciutto and Apple Pizza, hold the prosciutto

vegetarian

Photo by Hannah Mayblum

This pretty pizza is as sweet as candy, but convince yourself it’s healthy. Without the prosciutto, a slice of pizza can’t get any better. The perfectly cooked dough is brushed with oil and garlic topped with mozzarella, sliced apples, toasted walnuts and arugula.

Bad Dog Taqueria

Tree Hugger Tacos

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of @kimnmcleod on Instagram

These soft tacos are bae . The soft corn tortilla is stuffed with a parmesan chip, black beans, jasmine rice, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, salsa fresca and topped off with panting dog hot sauce. That’s a taco if I’ve ever heard of one.

Rise-n-Dine

Banana Nutella Pancakes

vegetarian

Photo by Hannah Mayblum

How can you not like something that involves Nutella? These classic pancakes are taken to the next level with the perfect spread of Nutella and just the right amount of banana for you to tell yourself this breakfast is somewhat healthy.

Grilled Cheese

vegetarian

Photo by Hannah Mayblum

This is not your typical grilled cheese. I know a classic grilled cheese is bomb, but quit being so basic and start trying something a little bit different. This open-faced grilled cheese is made on tomato-onion focaccia and topped with perfectly melted cheddar, pepper jack, and mozzarella cheese. Dip the grilled cheese in the tomato sauce; I promise I only have the best intentions for you.

Ali’s Cookies

Cookie Cake

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of Julia Ditkoff

A true gift from God. No matter what time of day you get a slice of this cookie cake, the chocolate chips are ALWAYS gooey. If you need another tip besides ordering this slice of bae, I also suggest spreading that huge glob of icing so you maximize the heaven-to-cookie ratio.

Dave’s Cosmic Subs

Pizza Sub

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of @skotchontherox on Instagram

They took the liberty of combining pizza with a sandwich, and for that, we all must be thankful. If you can’t figure this one out for yourself, it’s an open-faced sub with sauce and cheese (hence the name Pizza Sub).

Now you see, being a vegetarian in the South isn’t that bad. Yes, there are BBQ joints left and right. But, now you have my guide to show you that dope, meat-free food DOES exist in the South.

vegetarian