A foodie scene in Oklahoma? You may be thinking this past Indian territory is full of Sonics and Walmarts, which is true at first glance. The surface of the Oklahoma food scene consists of many uninspiring fast food chains that are easy on the wallet but not your spring break bod. But with a sense of adventure and a keen palette, a true foodie can find sanity within these top Oklahoman hot spots that are more than just “OK” (get it?).

Breakfast

Waffle Champion

Oklahoma

Photo courtesy of @wafflechampion on Instagram

Savory or sweet, these waffles are worth getting out of bed for. Build your own sweet waffle or order one of the delicious waffle sandwiches on a classic or Belgian-style waffle. The possibilities are limitless.

Oklahoma

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

What to try: Savory – Migas Waffle Sandwich with house chorizo, egg, cucumber relish, cojita cheese and a crispy tortilla strip.

Sweet – Blueberry Sunrise Waffle with blueberry-thyme compote and a lemon-goat cheese spread oat crumble.

Hurts Donut Company

Oklahoma

Photo courtesy of @sarahboots on Instagram

Not your cheat day? We won’t tell anyone. These flavorful donuts are worth the calories and your tastebuds will be thanking you.

What to try: The pink lemonade or Nutella donut… or both.

Cafe Kacao

Oklahoma

Photo courtesy of Cafe Kacao on Facebook

If you’ve never had Guatemalan food, now’s your chance. Enjoy a delicious breakfast and buy a bag of Guatemalan coffee to take home.

What to try: Pair the Nutella S’mores cortado with a unique scrambled egg dish called Migallas Con Chorizo that includes cilantro, tomatoes, tortilla chips and a passion fruit raspberry sauce.

Lunch

Scratch Kitchen + Cocktails

Oklahoma

Photo courtesy by Tanvier P. on yelp.com

If you couldn’t tell from the name, everything here is made from scratch. You can taste the freshness of the ingredients that will keep you coming back for more.

What to try: The California Girl sandwich with chicken, provolone, fresh guac, tomato, onions, sprouts, roasted garlic aioli on a sunflower honey wheat bun.

For brunch, check out the rum & cinnamon brioche French toast with banana caramel sauce.

Big Truck Tacos

Oklahoma

Photo by Isabella Cuellar

This popular food truck has a home base in OKC and does not disappoint. Their range of seven homemade salsas varies from mild to super spicy, geared towards a range of tastes.

What to try: The fried shrimp taco with spicy mango mayo and pineapple pico or their “Crispy’cado” with fried avocado, tomatillo salsa, pico de gallo and queso fresco.

Dinner

Kitchen No. 324

Oklahoma

Photo courtesy of Nicole M. on yelp.com

This rustic cafe will satisfy your brunch cravings. With fresh pastries, curated coffee, and pressed juices, look no further in finding your Sunday morning happy place.

What to try: The fried green tomato Benedict on a homemade English muffin… southern and tasty.

The Wedge Pizzeria

Oklahoma

Photo courtesy of lospizzadudes.com

Beautifully crafted pizza can be found here at OKC’s first wood-fired oven pizzeria. Pair these personal-sized pizzas with a fresh salad for a delicious combo.

What to try: Prosciutto E Formaggi Pizza with fig and arugula includes fruit and veggies.

Cheever’s Cafe

Oklahoma

Photo courtesy of CheeversCafe on Twitter

Originally a family-owned flower shop, Cheever’s has contemporary comfort food that gives grandma a run for her money.

What to try: Bacon-wrapped shrimp and grits with sriracha-honey butter. What are you waiting for?