Seattle has tons of good restaurants, but as you move out from the city into smaller towns, finding good eats can be hard. I go hiking a lot over the summer and am always starving as soon as I get back to the parking lot.

To save you the struggle I know all too well, I offer you this list of the best places to eat in the boonies.

1. Scott’s Dairy Freeze

washington hike

Photo by Joe Mabel

Located in North Bend, Scott’s is the perfect post-hike stop. It offers greasy, cheap, filling food and has amazing ice cream and milk shakes.

2. Georgia’s Bakery

washington hike

Photo courtesy of Georgia’s Bakery on Facebook

Also in North Bend, this bakery has decent sandwiches, but locals really go for the pastries. Stop here for a great snack and a sugar high that will carry you through the rest of the drive home.

3. Cascadia Inn Cafe

washington hike

Photo courtesy of Sugar P. on Yelp

Cascadia Inn, in Skykomish, is a place to spend the night, but also has a great cafe that’s open to the public. Along with delicious breakfasts, they serve up a killer burger and fries and have old fashioned, thick milkshakes.

4. Sky Deli

washington hike

Photo courtesy of Perfecto M. on Yelp

This Skykomish deli and liquor store offers tasty, filling fare featuring breakfast burritos, sandwiches, and breathtaking views. If you also happen to be staying in a cabin in the area, Sky Deli has basic grocery items.

5. Rhodies Smokin BBQ

washington hike

Photo courtesy of Marc M. on Yelp

This barbecue joint in Preston is one to hit. It has huge portions and won’t disappoint you. Order your sandwich or platter with the extra spicy “Hooch” sauce for a kick – it actually is pretty spicy, but I definitely recommend it.

6. Que Car BBQ

washington hike

Photo courtesy of Eli M. on Yelp

This barbecue train car is in Marblemount in the North Cascades, so unfortunately is not a convenient stop on your typical Seattle day hike. If you’re ever out there though, I encourage you to stop by. Beware that the brisket is chopped, not sliced, so I recommend the pulled pork instead.