If you were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to spend a semester abroad, there is no doubt you experienced food withdrawals upon returning home in the US. Known for it’s incredibly delicious dishes from fresh pasta to pizza and of course gelato, Italy is high up on our list of places with the best food, ever. Eager for mouth-watering dishes to send our tastebuds back to days of roaming through Rome and frolicking through Florence, we scoped out the five places you must visit in Miami to experience a truly authentic Italian experience.

1. Via Emilia 9

abroad

Photo by Dylan Reich

This hidden gem on South Beach just reopened its doors with an interior that will leave you feeling like you’re inside an Eataly. With a restaurant on one side and a market on the other, it’s easy to sit down for an Italian experience or grab your favorite pasta to-go. Chef Wendy, who is straight out of Bologna, Italy, makes all dishes with his culinary team from scratch. Close your eyes and inhale the aromas and you might even think you’re standing in the rolling hillside of Tuscany. Try the Gnocchi 4 formaggi (4-cheese gnocchi) or the Tortellini alla panna (tortellini in cream sauce) for a dish that’s impastable to beat.

2. Freddo

abroad

Photo courtesy of @freddoheladous on Instagram

Sometimes you just need your gelato fix, and Freddo is the spot for the cure. With a variety of flavors available (there are eight different chocolate flavors alone), this cold, creamy treat is as close to the Italy original as it gets.

Still shooting for that summer beach body? Freddo offers light flavors and sorbets for guilt-free indulgence. It may not be Frigidarium, but it’s pretty darn good.

3. Dolce Italian

abroad

Photo courtesy of @dolce_italian on Instagram

Nestled inside The Gale Hotel, Dolce Italian features an upscale ambiance with Italian classics. The Neapolitan pizzas cooked in a wood-burning oven are a must-try, ranging in options from margherita to tartufata. White truffle pizza? Yes, please. With flavors and quality as good as you’d find in the birthplace of pizza, Naples, Italy, it won’t be hard to say “Ciao, Bella” as soon as the slice is set on your plate.

4. Sylvano Restaurant

abroad

Photo courtesy of @worldwidefoodie on Instagram

GOOOOOOOOAL! This Miami Beach Italian eatery not only makes great Italian food, but is a must-visit for sports fans. With various flat screens positioned around the restaurant, diners are able to catch the game while eating their favorite pizza or panino.

5. Picciolo

abroad

Photo courtesy of @picciolosobe on Instagram

Miami is no Amalfi Coast, but Picciolo’s two dining options come in at a close second. Choose between sitting alongside the bustling Ocean Drive at Picciolo’s outside dining area, or order your food up to the rooftop of the Bentley Hotel to dine with Ocean Views similar to those you’d see in the Southern Italian coastal towns.