Ice cream is an all-time favorite, especially when it’s warm outside. Austin’s temperature rises above 80 degrees about 198 days in the year, so ice cream should always be your go-to when it comes to dessert. Whether you are looking for gelato, soft-serve, or the classic ice cream, there are plenty of options. The best part is that even if you are gluten-free, dairy-free, or have other dietary needs, there’s still a place for you in Austin. So next time you’re looking to get your ice cream fix, be sure to check out one of these ice cream hot spots.

1. Amy’s

ice cream

Photo courtesy of @texasfoodgawker on Instagram

Amy’s Ice Cream originated in Austin and is best known for their Mexican Vanilla flavor. They also rotate between 350 different flavors and carry dairy-free ices, frozen yogurt, and a ton of toppings, so you always have the option to switch it up. It’s so good that you’re almost guaranteed to have to wait in line.

2. Prohibition Creamery

ice cream

Photo courtesy of @atxfoodwineally on Instagram

This new ice cream shop is well-known for their booze-filled flavors. From Sangria Sorbet to Whiskey Chocolate, you will not be disappointed. It’s like wine ice cream, but so much better.

3. Sweet Ritual

ice cream

Photo courtesy of @fortknoxxx on Instagram

Vegans rejoice because Sweet Ritual only offers dairy-free ice cream with gluten-free options and trust me, it is delicious. Don’t skimp on toppings because they have unique choices including lavender simple syrup, caramelized bananas, and peanut butter magic shell.

4. Lick Honest Ice Cream

ice cream

Photo courtesy of @austinfoodstagram on Instagram

Lick Honest Ice Creams is made of only the purest ingredients, so you don’t have to worry about high fructose corn syrup or artificial flavoring. They have both everyday flavors and those that change seasonally, including dairy-free/vegan options. Plus everything is farm-to-table!

5. SPUN Ice Cream

ice cream

Photo courtesy of @austinmymouth on Instagram

SPUN Ice Cream is filled with local and organic ingredients and shift seasonally. All of the ice creams are fresh and spun to order with liquid nitrogen to ensure it is always creamy and smooth. Make sure you try the mocha shell made with real coffee and check out the latest specials.

6. Cow Tipping Creamery

ice cream

Photo courtesy of @tuttifoodiee on Instagram

Cow Tipping Creamery is best known for their stackers, which are essentially ice cream parfaits. They include layers of ice cream, fresh baked goods, and various toppings. You can try any of the delicious options on the menu or create your own!

7. Ice Scrapers

ice cream

This is the perfect place to go when you want a cold treat in between classes. Thai rolled ice cream is amazing because there are toppings mixed in and on top. The s’mores flavor is a must get and only $5, so you really can’t go wrong.

8. Dolce Neve

ice cream

Photo courtesy of @dolcenevegelato on Instagram

Whoever says gelato isn’t ice cream is seriously mistaken. Especially if it is served with real chocolate, whiskey caramel sauce, Valrhona chocolate shells, and pecans. If that isn’t convincing enough, it also has less fat and calories than “traditional” ice cream.

9. Steel City Pops

ice cream

Just as the name signifies, Steel City Pops specializes in flavored ice pops. These pops are made from fresh all-natural, certified organic and locally-harvested ingredients, sweetened only with raw, natural cane sugar. That means they’re healthy, right?

10. Dolce Vita

ice cream

Photo courtesy of @austintxfoods on Instagram

This is the perfect place to come when you are looking for the perfect snack/coffee followed by ice cream. There are plenty of panini, sandwich, and salad options, so that you can indulge in something savory before something sweet. When it comes to the sweet, the Nutella gelato is a must try.

11. Churro Co.

ice cream

Photo courtesy of @annagaby89 on Instagram

Churros and ice cream? Yes please. This may not be your traditional ice cream shop, but a scoop of ice cream on top of churros is an amazing variation that will definitely satisfy all your cravings. If you’re looking for something a little more exciting than your classic vanilla, definitely go here.

12. Moojo

ice cream

Moojo is another great spot right next to campus, known for specializing in ice cream sandwiches. All the cookies and brownies are baked fresh daily, toppings are homemade, and they offer sixteen different flavors including vegan and gluten-free options.

13. Austin Scoops

ice cream

Photo courtesy of @shannonnicholewilson on Instagram

Austin Scoops is the perfect, classic ice cream shop with all flavors made fresh on-site using hormone free, antibiotic free milk/cream that is sourced locally. Plus, they have a variety of fun and different flavors, such as Pina Colada, Strawberry Cheesecake, and Cinnamon Bun, so you can always try something new.

14. Teo

ice cream

Photo courtesy of @sweetsweetaustin on Instagram

Teo is the perfect gelato shop to visit, especially if you are looking to sit down and study while enjoying your treat. All of the gelato is handmade and was rated among the top 5 in the world! Feel free to mix and match different flavors, so that you can find your favorite.

15. Holla Mode

ice cream

Photo by Sasha Kran

Austin is at it again with the Thai rolled ice cream and it’s just as amazing. All fresh, natural, and organic ingredients, so you know exactly what you are getting. You even have the option to switch out dairy for coconut milk in any of the flavors to satisfy your dietary needs.

16. D’Lites

ice cream

If you consider soft serve to be ice cream, then D’Lites should be your go-to. Also if you’re trying to watch what you eat, you can choose from various gluten-free, low carb, and low sugar options.

Now eat as much ice cream as you can with someone who looks at you the way Michelle Tanner looks at this sundae.

ice cream