I'll be the first to admit that I didn't know good pizza until I moved from Los Angeles to South Orange, New Jersey for college. I was skeptical at first (prior to 2019, I would consume Domino's without a second thought), but there's definitely something in the water -- no, really -- that makes Jersey pizza so. Dang. Good. 

We're in New Jersey, so it's only right to honor the best food in the state (okay, maybe a close second to bagels).

Celebrate National Pizza Day with a slice (or two) from these 12 Spoon‑approved joints. 

1. The Village Trattoria

21 W S Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ 07079

Do you even go to Seton Hall if you don’t love the Village Trattoria? Home of the Buffalo pie, “The Tratt” is infamous in South Orange for its delicious (and cheap) NJ‑style pizza.

The Trattoria offers 20+ varieties of specialty slices and classic pies, perfect for grab‑and‑go or a nice sit‑down meal.

2. El Greco Pizza

404 Irvington Ave, South Orange, NJ 07079

Don’t sleep on El Greco, which is located on Irvington Avenue in South Orange and serves classic pizza, specialty pies, pasta, wings, and more

Bonus: @ElGrecoPizza973 delivers until midnight.

3. Bunny's Sports Bar

12-14 W S Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ 07079

Nicknamed “the ‘Cheers’ of South Orange” by BaristaNet, Bunny’s Sports Bar is a South Orange classic where hungry pizza lovers are welcomed with open arms.

Bunny's is a great place to enjoy housemade pizza, classic pub appetizers, and on‑tap beer while cheering on Seton Hall’s basketball team.

4. Mozzarella

396 Valley St, South Orange, NJ 07079

Mozzarella in South Orange uses the finest, locally‑sourced produce and protein to celebrate the harmony of traditional Italian cuisine and the ever‑evolving Nuevo (new food).

Mozzarella is a great date night spot, and don’t forget to try their TikTok‑famous breadsticks.

5. Brick + Dough

110 Walnut St, Montclair, NJ 07042

Brick + Dough is a Montclair pizzeria that specializes in deliciously crispy personal wood‑fired pizzas.

And since we’re in New Jersey, treat yourself to the best of both worlds: a @BrickxDough wood‑fired bagel, made fresh daily.

6. Dough Artisan Pizzeria

437 Bloomfield Ave, Caldwell, NJ 07006

Dough prides itself on hand‑crafted cuisine and a simple approach to delicious pizza: use fresh ingredients, use the best techniques, and remain focused on even the smallest details.

Whether you try the Spoon-approved Luca Bianca or Butternut Squash, or stick to the classic Margherita, you can't go wrong. 

7. Arturo's

180 Maplewood Ave, Maplewood, NJ 07040

Just down the road from Seton HallArturo’s is a neighborhood wood‑fired pizzeria in beautiful downtown Maplewood.

Arturo's uses the finest seasonal ingredients in their ever‑changing menu to ensure that you’re getting the most out of the local land.

8. MOONSHINE Modern Supper Club

55 Main St, Millburn, NJ 07041

Named the best happy hour near Seton Hall by Spoon SHU's former president Brooke HarringtonMOONSHINE offers delicious personal pizzas for 1/2 price daily.

Try their Funghi & Fontina for an umami kick, or keep it fresh with Prosciutto & Arugula.

9. Pirate's Pizza

133 W S Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ 07079

Pirates Pizza is located in the heart of South Orange, and offers a discount for Seton Hall students.

Stop in for their variety of pizzas, customizable toppings, and over a dozen side salads.

10. Leone's

19 S Park St, Montclair, NJ 07042

Located on Park Street in Montclair, Leone’s is a traditional Italian restaurant with drool‑worthy chicken parm and mouthwatering penne vodka pizza.

They serve up some great brick‑oven pizza, and the Calamari Arabiata is a must‑try.

11. Porta Jersey City

135 Newark Ave, Jersey City, NJ 07302

Porta is an authentic Neapolitan pizza restaurant  offering 14 varieties, from the classic Marinara and Margherita to the adventurous Winter Betty (brussels sprouts, goat cheese, garlic, and more).

PS — Porta is opening the doors of their third restaurant location in Montclair soon.

12. The Roman Gourmet

153 Maplewood Ave, Maplewood, NJ 07040

The Roman Gourmet in Maplewood is family‑owned and operated, with pizza recipes that originate in small‑town Italy and have been handed down from generation to generation.

Modified with a touch of New York style, The Roman Gourmet has perfected their pizzas, but also serves up a variety of pasta, sandwiches, and calzones.

TL;DR: Dough not miss out on these practically-perfect pizzerias -- they just can't be topped.