San Antonio is not only the home of the beautiful Riverwalk, the Spurs and the Alamo, but also some of the most delicious dishes that go beyond your typical Texas breakfast tacos and queso. Next time you’re in town, don’t even think about the wasting your time at the Alamo. Instead, check out one of these 11 must-eat delicacies instead.

1. Tostada Burger at Chris Madrid’s

san antonio

Photo courtesy of @young.long on Instagram

As a University of Texas marketing grad, Chris Madrid started his first burger joint in 1977, and it has exploded in popularity ever since. People from all over town still come around to grab the Tostada Burger. Piled high with Mama Madrid’s fresh, homemade refried beans, chips, onions, a thick layer of melted cheese and topped with salsa, this burger will exceed any expectations. If you’re feeling real macho, try their Macho size, their version of McDonald’s supersize.

2. 42 Inch Pizza at Big Lou’s Pizza

san antonio

Photo courtesy of @matrix1822 on Instagram

One slice of pizza not enough for you? That’s not a problem at Big Lou’s Pizza. In fact, they even had to design a special oven for their biggest pizza. Featured on Man vs. Food, this is the only place to get a 42 inch pizza in the United States. Get your Lactaid ready, friends, because as we like to say, “Everything’s bigger in Texas.”

3. Brisket at Augie’s BBQ

san antonio

Photo courtesy of @forkedupfoodie on Instagram

Texas is known for its BBQ, but Augie’s Alamo City BBQ takes brisket to a new level. The food isn’t even the best part. Augie’s also has a patio, beer garden and tree house for guests to explore. Make sure to stop by Augie’s to get your meat on.

4. Prickly Pear Margarita at La Gloria

san antonio

Photo courtesy of @historicpearl on Instagram

Located on the grounds of the historic Pearl Brewery, La Gloria was founded on the principle that “No hace falta morir para llegar a la Gloria” (“You don’t have to die to go to heaven”). After one marg and their famous queso, you may die, but you are guaranteed to feel like you’re in heaven.

5. Legendary Bone in Filet at Bohanan’s

san antonio

Photo courtesy of @carolinealt on Instagram

Bohanan’s steaks are not only delicious, but they are also nutritious. Bohanan’s steaks are unique in that they use Akaushi beef, a Japanese favorite, which is slightly higher in monounsaturated fats compared to Western cattle. Can’t make a trip out to Japan? Then sit down for a juicy, tender, ribeye at award-winning Bohanan’s.

6. Tacos at Rolando’s Super Tacos

san antonio

Photo courtesy of @jesseblazen on Instagram

No, your eyes are not fooling you. Yes, that taco takes up that entire plate. I mean, who says you can’t get your taco super-sized? This taco dive has been around for over 35 years, serving up homemade tortillas, a side of salsa and some Southern hospitality.

7. French Pastries at Bakery Lorraine

san antonio

Photo courtesy of @bakery_lorraine on Instagram

Rated one of the top 10 bakeries in the U.S., Bakery Lorraine has been baking up fresh French pastries in San Antonio since 2010. Before moving to San Antonio to set up shop, the two chefs had been baking together across San Francisco and Napa Valley. They serve a variety of fresh goodies ranging from macarons to homemade Pop-tarts.

8. Waffles at Guenther House

san antonio

photo courtesy of @lathapillai on Instagram

Described as “a deliciously crisp Belgian waffle made with San Antonio River Mill Southern Sweet Cream Waffle Mix,” these waffles will remind you what it’s like to have some of grandma’s good ole Southern cooking. You can indulge in this waffle while also enjoying the elegant 1860’s restored home of Pioneer Flour Mills’ founding family.

9. Fish Tacos at The Cove

san antonio

Photo courtesy of @fromstarwithlove on Instagram

The Cove’s motto “Eat Well, Live Well” definitely defines this sustainable, organic and local joint. The Cove’s fish tacos perfectly combine grilled tilapia, cilantro coleslaw and spicy poblano sauce wrapped in a corn tortilla. Cool off your palate with a side of greens and heart-shaped tortilla chips. You can feel the love they put into the food, music and family atmosphere.

10. Oysters at Luke’s

san antonio

Photo courtesy of http://www.lukesanantonio.com/

Serving up food with a Louisiana twist, Luke’s is home to some eye-opening oysters. Located on the Riverwalk, you can slurp up these fresh oysters while admiring the twinkling river, finishing off your night with an evening stroll.

11. Blackened Fish at Josephine Street

san antonio

Photo courtesy of @Josephine_street on Instagram

If you’re craving some fresh fish, Josephine Street has the remedy. After 35 years of excellence, Josephine Street continues to satisfy its customers with their blackened fish. Known for the large tree smack in the center of the restaurant, it’s also home to the only free bus ride to the Spurs games. #gospursgo