Coffee is a day-to-day staple in many people’s lives. It’s usually the sole thing that gets them out of bed in the morning. Regardless of whether it’s the morning ritual itself or the actual caffeine buzz that keeps people moving and keeps the world going ’round, coffee is consumed by more than half of America’s population of over eighteen-year-olds every single day.

The busy city of Chicago has its fair share of caffeine dependent folk who lean on their daily pick-me-up to get them through the day, and the city does not disappoint with its eclectic spread of coffee shops, bringing happiness to those who rely on these places to get their fix. Chicago coffee shops are diverse, and each one has something different to offer. That being said, here are the top ten coffee spots you won’t want to miss next time you’re in the Windy City.

1. Heritage Bicycles General Store

chicago coffee shops

Photo courtesy of Dorthea C. on Yelp

I know what you’re thinking, how could Heritage Bicycles General Store possibly be the name of a good coffee shop? Well, they do seem to do it all here. They specialize in both bikes and coffee, so you can sit and enjoy your morning latte while waiting for your bike to get fixed.

Location: 2959 N Lincoln Ave, Chicago, IL 60657

Hours of Operation: Saturday-Friday: 7 am-8 pm

2. Americano 2211

chicago coffee shops

Courtesy of @americano2211 on Instagram

A European-esque café with incredible pastries, coffee by day, and a full service dinner menu by night. You can start your day camped out with your laptop in the café and end your night at this trendy spot with dinner and drinks with friends. They have it all – even brunch with the freshest flavors around. This place is a must.

Location: 2211 W North Ave, Chicago, IL 60647

Hours of Operation: Monday: Closed, Tuesday: 8 am-3 pm, Wednesday/Thursday: 8 am-11 pm, Friday: 8 am-11:30 pm, Saturday: 9 am-11:30 pm, Sunday 9 am-10 pm

3. Sawada Coffee

chicago coffee shops

Photo courtesy of Alex A. on Yelp

Famous for their Military Latte, which is matcha tea and espresso, this drink is definitely something you’ve seen on Instagram. Sawada Coffee is the perfect combination of funky coffee shop, high quality coffee, and unique flavors. You won’t be disappointed with this aesthetically pleasing coffee shop and the vibe it has to offer.

Location: 112 N Green St, Chicago, IL 60607

Hours of Operation: Saturday-Friday: 8 am-5 pm

4. Hoosier Mama Pie Company + Dollop Coffee & Tea Co.

chicago coffee shops

Photo courtesy of @cargecko on Instagram

What could be better than a delicious cup of coffee? Oh, I don’t know – maybe only the greatest, most heavenly pie you’ve ever tasted. Well, Hoosier Mama Pie Company knows what’s up. They’ve got the goods, including savory pies, sweet pies, pastries, and coffee galore. This coffee shop is a slice of bliss, and you should be running to get your hands on it.

Location: 749 Chicago Ave, Evanston, IL 60202

Hours of Operation: Monday-Thursday: 6:30 am-9 pm, Friday: 6:30 am-10 pm, Saturday: 7 am-10 pm, Sunday: 8 am-9 pm

5. Plein Air Cafe

chicago coffee shops

Photo courtesy of @maurastoffer on Instagram

This French-inspired spot features artisanal coffee and an open environment. They serve delicious, light, fresh breakfast dishes, sandwiches, salads, and pastries. The white walls and outdoor patio makes for an ideal study spot or the perfect place to rest your legs for lunch.

Location: 5751 S Woodlawn Ave, Chicago, IL 60637

Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday: 7 am-8 pm, Saturday-Sunday: 8 am-6 pm

6. Buzz: Killer Espresso

chicago coffee shops

Photo courtesy of Jiwon S. on Yelp

The name doesn’t lie. Buzz most definitely has killer espresso, and the two floors decorated with an alternative design give customers plenty of room to choose where to settle down with their drink of choice. A wonderful, accommodating staff welcomes you into this great atmosphere, and they also have outdoor seating for those beautiful summer Chicago days.

Location: 1644 N Damen Ave, Chicago, IL 60647

Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday: 7 am-7 pm, Saturday-Sunday: 8 am-7 pm

7. La Colombe Coffee

chicago coffee shops

Photo courtesy of Kate P. on Yelp

With multiple locations across Chicago, La Colombe is spreading like wild fire (and for good reason). The excellent coffee and baked goods that are offered set the bar pretty high – making it hard for other coffee shops to compete. A spacious setup gives customers room to spread out and breathe (without having to worry about spilling a neighbor’s drink).

Location: 1552 N Damen Ave, Chicago, IL 60622, 5158 N Clark St, Chicago, IL 60640, 955 West Randolph St, Chicago, IL 60607

Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday: 6:30 am-7 pm, Saturday-Sunday 7 am-7 pm

8. Sip & Savor

chicago coffee shops

Photo courtesy of Kathleen S. on Yelp

Drinks like “Mocha Bama” (named after Obama), “Tuxedo Mocha,” and “Banana Caramel Latte” all make appearances on Sip & Savor’s menu. This is the perfect quiet study spot amidst the hustle and bustle of the city, and the nice staff and spacious interior are cherries on top of this already credible spot.

Location: 5301 S Hyde Park Blvd, Chicago, IL 60615

Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday: 6 am-7 pm, Saturday-Sunday: 7 am-6 pm

9. The Wormhole Coffee

chicago coffee shops

Photo courtesy of @morissarivera on Instagram

When you enter Wormhole Coffee, you enter a time machine that transports you back to the 80s. Decked out with Yoda, Ghostbusters, and more, you’re brought into a different world – not to mention the great coffee and special drinks with ingredients like peanut butter and honey that are also out of this world. Take in the sights, and enjoy your beverage in this perfectly quirky spot.

Location: 1462 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL 60622

Hours of Operation: Saturday-Friday: 7 am-11 pm

10. Oromo Cafe

chicago coffee shops

Photo courtesy of Oromo Cafe on Yelp

Calling all health conscious nuts: this is the motherland for you all. Oromo Cafe is a new coffee shop with organic coffee, innovative beverages, and nutrient dense confections. Organic? Check. Raw? Check. Vegan? Check. Gluten free? Check. Refined sugar free? Aaaaand check. There’s no excuse for you not to indulge at this place, so go and get your superfood on.

Location: 4703 N Lincoln Ave, Chicago, IL 60625

Hours of Operation: Monday-Thursday: 7 am-7 pm, Friday: 7 am-9 pm, Saturday-Sunday: 9 am-9 pm

So, there you have it, folks. The top ten Chicago coffee shops you have to visit. Do yourself a favor, go on a coffee tour of the city, and make sure to hit these places – you won’t be disappointed.