Wake up babe, it’s 2023, and you can order a Parmesan Espresso Martini. We’ve reached peak human innovation. What’s a Parmesan Espresso Martini, you ask? Exactly what it sounds like, unfortunately. Your standard Espresso Martini — espresso, coffee liqueur, and vodka — topped with a heap of grated parmesan cheese. Yeah.

The history of the Espresso Martini

The Espresso Martini, a divisive drink in its own right, is definitely having a moment. It was one of the top ten ordered drinks of 2022, according to Drinks International. Neil Patrick Harris is promoting a line of canned Espresso Martinis. And you can even order an Oleato Golden Foam™ Espresso Martini made with vodka, espresso, vanilla bean syrup and olive oil–infused foam at Starbucks Reserve. Don’t even get me started on the olive oil, because that’s another story. My point is, the Espresso Martini is trending. 

What is the Parmesan Espresso Martini?

So of course, people on the internet decided to add cheese. Parmesan cheese, to be specific. Why? As far as I can tell, simply because they can. Reviews are…mixed.

“I regret to inform you, that was kinda awesome,” reported @highproofpreacher, the creator of the original viral Parm Espresso Martini video. Others weren’t so into it. “Uh-uh. Nope. No no…that texture doesn’t go with liquid,” Hoda Kotb announced after sampling the concoction on The Today Show. “It’s like chocolate milk with curds on top,” added co-host Jenna Bush Hager. I’m inclined to side with Hoda and Jenna on this one.

The PET, as I am now calling it, may not be everyone’s cup of tea. But that’s probably why it’s been so successful. In the era of weird TikTok food trends and viral internet controversies, the PET was practically inevitable. From the ‘chickle’ to the butter board, the internet seems to love using dairy in strange ways, and then arguing about it. And you know what? That’s fine. In fact, it’s probably a good thing. There are certainly worse things to argue over on the internet. Debates over food allow people to engage in a fun and lighthearted way, because no matter who you are, we all eat, and we all have opinions about it. However, I do feel sorry for the poor parmesan cheese makers who have to watch their beautiful, perfect product be wasted in such an abomination. Just so it’s clear where I stand on this one.